Runs like crap after headers

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 79konz350, Dec 10, 2017.

1. 79konz350

79konz350 New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    So I put some Flowtech headers on my camaro, and now it runs horribly. It idles fine, but at about 2 grand it starts to miss all over the place. Anyone have any ideas on why? I figured it may be running lean, so I tried sticking the choke shut to temporarily rich up the mixture--- didn't seem to help. Changed absolutely nothing electrical besides replacing the number 5 cylinder plug with a shorty.

2. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 11, 2004
    belding,mi USA
    Plugs wires crossed up?

3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Make sure that nothing got disturbed during the header install, including electrical connections down by the starter and especially ground connections. Tune will change from headers, but not that much.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    This or plug wires are tango uniform. Look under the hood at night time with the engine running, bet you'll see a light show

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Headers lean an engine out ,What carb are you running . Have you tuned it afterword. Change the plug wire etc ,then check the plus and see if you are running lean .You may have to go up a jet size or two. all else fails put it on a scope.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    HEI wires cannot be touched or moved if they have a significant number of miles on them. They get brittle with age and handling them breaks them up internally. If yours aren't new or almost new, I would start by replacing them completely.

7. 79konz350

79konz350 New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Plug wires are brand new, is there a not-so-obvious way I could have cracked a plug while reinstalling them? or damaged it some other way?

8. 79konz350

79konz350 New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Its an edelbrock 1406 600cfm. Figured the carb would compensate for the extra flow, just like it behaves when you open the throttle to let more air in.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Bad wire. Cracked plug. Gap issue (not hard to mess up the gap taking them out, handling them, etc). Crossed wire. Overly lean (what do the plus look like now?). Timing, vac advance issue

so now you have one plug different from the others?

10. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Yes, if you did not remove your plugs you could have easily cracked a plug installing headers.