Running a Turbo With Vortec

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by ugly duckling, Apr 18, 2010.

1. ugly duckling

ugly duckling Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Hey guys it's been a while since i posted been real busy with other things going on idk if i should of posted this in the vortec sticky or not but i was wondering, how many people are running a turbo on their 2nd gen's with the vortec setup?

Reason for asking is i am seriously thinking about installing a 76mm t4 turbo onto my car, i have a 350 with the 906 vortec head carburated i was just wondering and looking for some info from anyone that has it done or know of somebody that did this build, i'm thinking you will get alot of h/p from this setup, i'm looking to do something different...

2. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    you are going to need to get forged pistons a new cam lower compression pistons. If you are sticking with the carb you will need to get a blow thru carb. Plus alot of other stuff.

Mike

3. retorq

retorq Veteran Member

May 13, 2003
    Kingman, AZ
    There are a few guys running blow thru carbs in the competition area. Being Vortec heads makes little to no difference really.

4. 70CamaroZ/28

70CamaroZ/28 Veteran Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Boca Raton, FL
    Do they make kits for our cars or does the piping pretty much have to all be custom?

5. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    i would think that a vortec turbo motor would be a torque monster!!! and get decent mileage too.

6. Louich

Louich Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Arthur, Ontario
    Carm had a set of headers to mount a pair of t4's into a 2nd gen. not sure if he still has them.
    other then that i think custom is the way to go. haven't saw any personally that fit from a kit.

7. wild84

wild84 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Las Vegas, nv
    Refer to signiture.... now from someone who has a turbo second gen, some of this info is correct, some not so much. Do you have to have a forged bottom end, NO. I am running 7 psi through a rock stock cast bottom end 350, and 8 psi through a hypertec piston 350 (blown). However, there are a few things you need to be aware of if using a cast motor. Cast stuff doesn't like rpm, keep it under 6k (under 5700 if reasonable) and if you detonate it, it WILL come apart. Be conservitive with timing, use good fuel, and keep the rpms in check, and you'll have a blast. Now, if your starting from scratch and building a motor, go forged. I just hate when people state you can't run boost through a stock motor. Now on to the original question, vortec heads with boost is fine. The cool thing is that if your not happy with power, turn up the boost. The turbo doesn't care what motor/heads its bolted to. I belive that the more power a motor makes out of boost, the happier you'll be. My 77 runs like a 15.20 car untill I lay into the throttle. And, does anyone build a kit......Not a chance. At least not a "bolt in kit". Any other turbo questions, let me know.

8. Turbo T/A

Turbo T/A Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wild84, you're not the only one with a turbo second gen - simmer down :)

My headers were for sale, but i decided to keep them. Blow-through is KING!

Here's my old twin setup in the Z. This will give you an idea of space etc...This was back in '06

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ugly duckling

ugly duckling Member

Dec 18, 2006
    What size turbos are on your car in that picture? looks sweet by the way, my motor is already built and in the car running for a while now i just want to upgrade a bit.. What about the blower that Weiand sells for the vortec? anybody know of anyone running that blower on a vortec setup?

Trying to get as much info as possible either to go with a blower or turbo, don't want nitrious not into it, i want to be able to have the power at all times..

10. Louich

Louich Veteran Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Arthur, Ontario
    if your running it carbed no kit you buy for a vortec is going to fit, their building them for the application.