RPO Z21 Upper Door Trim Length

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by bkmont, Nov 27, 2017.

1. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Hi guys,
    I'm curious to know if the Z21 upper door trim came in different lengths. I have looked at numerous pictures that show some trim going all the way from front to back of the door.
    I have seen some trim that is shorter stopping before the door front edge.
    Any rhyme or reason for this?

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    The parts books do not give you a length option. It just depends who installs it and where they start pushing them down in place.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The Z21 trim should go the entire length of the door. The non-Z21 equipped cars have a smaller shiny bead that is shorter and ends short of the front of the door.

4. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I have 2 different lenth of the door trim ,one is ,right hand side is 1/4" or more shorter than the left side. looks bad . finly trated it off, not the first ,seen this as a set once befor when i was saleing used parts years ago. So maybe there is some year that was shorter.

5. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    I thought it should go the full door length too. When measured straight across from end to end, I have a used set that measures 49 1/8". This set falls considerably short from reaching the full length of the upper door edge.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    That is shorter than the ones I have here. The set on my car measure 49 3/4" when measured from the front side that is available when installed. I found a box with 3 more in my parts. Those measure 49 7/8" with the tape measure on the back side straight from end to end. I expect they would all measure the same installed.
    Maybe there are some aftermarket ones floating around that are different. Mine were all collected from original cars in the junkyard so they are likely original GM.

7. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    1970 Camaro door style trim 49 7/8" tip to tip installed .
    1970 Firebird door style trim 49 3/8" tip to tip installed .

8. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    I have seen this also with a couple of sets that I have here. One goes the entire length of the door and on set goes about 1/2 short of the fender edge.

9. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    Yes I believe OP is using Firebird trim on the Camaro door .

Double R Restorations likes this.
  10. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Okay. Thanks.
    So, Firebirds and Camaros are slightly different. You see so many people advertise as fits "70-81 F-body" cars.
    A person needs to make sure what f-body car this type of trim belongs to.