rope steering wheel

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by jeremy383, Jun 30, 2010.

1. 1978CamaroZ28

1978CamaroZ28 New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    I saw another thread that suggested degreaser and 409. I tried it yesterday and it worked pretty good. Not like brand new but dang close...

Wish I had a pressure washer to get the deep crevices but you work with what ya got :)

2. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    I have used everthing but the wheel on my 74 would get sticky after a while so I finally bought another wheel

3. 77RS

77RS Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheboro, NC
    You can own a pressure washer for 3 minutes at your local car wash for about $1.25 :crazy:

4. crazygreek89

crazygreek89 Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Why did they use rope to cover the steering wheel? Was this the thing to do at the time?

5. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mission Viejo, CA, USA
    It's not a real rope; it's moulded into the urethane.

6. It's called "outgassing", as the chemicals bleed out of the plastic over time.

I usually soak the wheel in hot water and OxyClean for a day or so, then a hard bristle brush all the way around. Cleans right up.

The pressure washer works great as well, but I didn't have one when I discovered the OxyClean method. I shot my last one down with 409, let it soak for a few, and blast away.

Not sure how long the 'treatment' lasts this way, but the OxyClean seems to last quite awhile- no stickiness yet after a few years..