Rolling Rear Fender Lips a Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by gordonquixote, Aug 12, 2008.

1. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

May 12, 2002
    VA BCH, VA
    so... is it wrong to use a hand sledge to roll the lip over? lol

2. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Nope....not at all.

Just hope your finish is 'repairable' like mine is - stealth black (flat rattle can).

but mine is already done, belt humps bashed in :)

Now i just have to get to where I'd 'need' this done....lol.

3. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I'm gonna try this technique and see how it works. My paint sucks and those Mickeys are CLOSE.

4. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Give us a status report, Woody.

5. Urban Samurai

Urban Samurai Veteran Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicago
    Baseball bat is what I have been told is the preferred method.

6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I used the baseball bat method on my friends Trans Am and it was alot of work. Rough on the hands.

The socket method worked great on my car to keep it from cutting the ET Streets I had on the car.

7. Nobody has answered the second part of the question. What to do about the new "dirt basket" formed when the lip is rolled. My thought would be to clean the inside arch real well and laying a heavy bead of silicone immediately before rolling. the wet silicone will "squish" out as you roll and fill all the gaps. Has anyone tried anything like this? I want to roll mine too but the dirt basket issue has kept me from doing it.

8. Scatter

Scatter Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Millbrook, Al
    This is what I did......I got the entire wheel well as clean as I could. I then painted everything with POR 15. After it dried I rolled the lip with a rolling tool and then used seam sealer to fill in the gaps.

Myself and a few freinds rented the tool and split the cost of the rental.

Beware those with nice paint jobs!!! Your paint may crack when you start rolling the lip. I don't have a great paint job, so I didn't worry about it to much, but I did use a heat gun to warm the paint up a little bit(don't heat it up too much...You may ruin it)

Everything turned out just fine.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  9. TheFly

TheFly Guest

Thats a nice car to be lip rollin on, Id dunno have you considered just raising the read a bit???

Id try a set of shock stud extenders. Most everyone sells them, make the top shock stud longer, giving you an in or so more room.

About to take mine off my 3rd gen as with the glass hatch gone, Its not an inch or so to high in the rear.

10. jayb53guy

jayb53guy Veteran Member Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Niceville, FL.

Sounds like you just answered it. ;)