Rolling Rear Fender Lips a Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by gordonquixote, Aug 12, 2008.

1. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    I want to get some wheel spacers (like Mikey posted up earlier). I would like the outside face of my rear tire to be just shy of flush with the fender well.

If I roll my fender lips I have two questions:
    -doesn't this create a perfect place to hold water/mud and lead to rust issues (especially where the crease cracks the primer/paint?
    -If I do have body filler (I don't think so, but who knows), it may crack something.:eek:

My wheels have about 1.5" between the outside face of the tire and the lip at this point. The top of the tire is about level with the lip, so I need cleanance for the tire to tuck some.

You guys just use the ol' wood baseball bat trick to roll the lips?

Here is a pic so you can see my rear tire placement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

if there is filler it will prolly crack... but not a bad idea to find out if it's there before you try it. IIRC, your car was painted not that long ago... body guy recall any filler?

I plan on rolling mine. I know there is no filler in mine.

Yes, it will prolly hold garbage in there... I plan to try to reseal it as well as possible... clean the heck outta the lip, roll it, then reseal... and I am gonna rent the roll-tool.. might be tempted to use a bat if it were a dirt-track car that will get beat-up anyway... but not on my car:screwup:

3. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I'm also curious about the best way to go about this. My new leafs bring the ass down on the tire.

4. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Don't know if this will help you guys since I did mine during the body work stage.
    After the quarters were spot welded to the outer wheelhousings we cut between every other spot weld about half way to the outer edge. We used a body hammer and dolly to roll the inner edge flat against the inner portion of the outer wheelhousing (this is where the cuts help) and made a nice rolled bottom edge (not flat). We then tack welded the bottom of each "v" from the cuts and grinded them smooth. To finish we used seam sealer over the top flat portion of the roll. Then the entire wheel housing was sprayed with undercoating.

5. gordonquixote

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    George, when you get a free minute, please stop by the house. I have beer and Cheetos :D. I like the seam sealer and the undercoating idea. I was thinking about putting a strip of metal roofing strip adhesive on the top of the lip, so when it rolls up, it seals itself off.

I'll look into the rolling tool too, Mikey. I didn't know there was such a thing.

Anybody else have good OR bad luck rolling the fenders under?

6. jayb53guy

jayb53guy Veteran Member Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Niceville, FL.
    Here is the high end one...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...9&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=fender,roller

This douche will rent one....I think....

http://www.robsaudiworld.com/fender.htm

I have done it with a louisville slugger, it works. I also did the cuts, but not as many as between each weld. I remember hitting the paint with a heat gun (turbo hair dryer) for a few to soften it up so it wouldn't crack up or chip before we rolled the bat around it. If you google it I'm sure someone has doen a write up.

Better hit the gym for a couple weeks before you start it though....:p

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  7. gordonquixote

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    Gook lookin' out, Jay. The dude renting his is making bank - It's rented until next year.....

Wow - I sure ain't gonna buy one either - $300!

8. jayb53guy

jayb53guy Veteran Member Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Niceville, FL.
  9. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Jack up under the leaf perch with the tire on and a large/long deep-set socket between the tire and fender lip at about a 45-50 degree angle. Once it is just starting to indent the lip, ratchet it back and fourth, rolling the lip. Jack the car up a little more and repeat. Just jack up a little at a time.

Does not require too much effort if you have a long handled socket or a breaker bar attached. May crack the paint on the inner lip though. Once the inner lip (the part with the spot welds) is angled, you can even carefully mask it and paint it black (protecting the metal) so the painted lip disappears into the wheel-well.

Takes about 20 min. per side.

This only works if the tire is close to the lip already.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008