Rod End / Heim joint for Cal Trac bars

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by muscl car, Oct 25, 2017.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Anyone here running Calvert Racing Cal Trac's ?? , I seem to have destroyed a Rod End / Heim joint on the pass side bar as I'm getting a clunking sound . Does anyone know the size and thread pitch of these Rod Ends ??

I want to go to a parts store and get one and have it ready to go back together quickly !!

2. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    call john calvert he lives down the street form you..:)

muscl car likes this.
  3. muscl car

Not quite down the street but is up in the High Desert

4. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    Chuck I feel that this is way premature for a rod end, is their an underlying issue?

5. muscl car

I had it up on stands the other day and physically checked all the rear suspension and everything looks good . the only thing I can think it's got to be a worn out heim joint

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I do run Cal Tracs and get a little bit of rattling but no clunking. Cracked spring maybe?

7. muscl car

Springs look fine , like I mentioned I spent 45 min under the car checking the rear suspension and didn't see anything wrong

I'm running a complete Calvert Racing rear suspension which includes their split mono leafs , cal tracs and 9 position shocks

It got to be a bad be a bad heim joint the pass side bar has more preload than the d/side

I had someone with me while driving the Camaro the other day and he runs a ladder bar suspension and said it sounds like a bad heim joint as that happened to him

I might take the Camaro over to GoodYear and have them put it on a lift so it can be looked at better

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Read somewhere that if you are running these in a non preloaded state they will clunk. I run mine preloaded on the street so my ride does suffer a bit. May want to readjust the Cal Tracs. Repost of the adjusting procedures from Calverts.

Fully loaded car with driver
    - If you have the Caltracs with 2 holes, select the hole that is most parallel to the car.
    - On the Caltracs after the bar contacts the leaf spring, add 1/4 turn of preload.
    - Their rear 9 way adjustable shocks use setting #7 both sides.
    - If car pulls to one side, increase the preload on that side 1-2 flats.
    - If car spins of the line, then need to address tires/launch RPMs.
    - If car hooks then breaks, add 1-2 flats of additional pre-load on both sides.

9. muscl car

I'm running 0 pre load d/side and shock set at #5 . pass side 1 turn preload and shock set at #8

Clunking sound definitely coming from pass side

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Not sure what else to tell you outside of readjusting them or pulling the Heim joint to see if it is bad. I was warned when i bought the Cal Tracs as to not over preload the springs. It will damage or re-arc the them.