Rocker trim

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by Jimmer, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Jimmer

Jimmer Veteran Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Green Bay, Wis.
    I have a 74 z-28 type Lt camaro, it has the lower 3 inch rocker trim. You can also have the 3/4 inch 3 piece lower door trim. I think the 3/4 may break up the length of the car, so I may do this. It is not correct to have both, but was wondering if anyone has done this, and would have a picture. Do I leave the bottom one on and paint black down from the 3/4 inch? Or remove bottom piece, grind off pegs, patch and paint black down? Anyone have help or opinion? Thanks.

2. vfitom2aol.com

vfitom2aol.com Veteran Member

Mar 2, 2000
    NE PA
    I have had many Type LT's. The Type LT has the 3/4" spear moldings (3) on each side of the car, and it is painted semi gloss black under that and wraps up into the door jamb. Search this site as their are pics of it on here.

3. Jimmer

Jimmer Veteran Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Green Bay, Wis.
    Thanks, I already knew that, was looking for info if anyone did both. My Z-28 Type Lt originally came with the 3" molding, not the 3/4", so I reinstalled the 3", another rare item is my rearend was special ordered with a .342, versus the standard .373 4- speed rearend, the window sticker verifies the rearend change ordered from new, thanks.

4. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland

I don't think having both trim types would look right IMO.

As for the rear end, I don't mean to sound like an ass, but not sure what that has to do with the trim or if you're even asking a question about it, but from what I understand, all 74 4-speed Z28's should be 3:73 and automatics came with the 3:42 with "no options" offered for both manual or auto. I suppose it's possible it was special ordered... but at the same time, I wouldn't say it's a rare item either as 3:42 was a very common gear ratio in standard L48 Camaros w/ 4 speeds... and if it wasn't offered as an option to begin with on the Z28's, it wouldn't make it a rare item or option at all - maybe just "unique".

5. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Sport Coupes (mine) have the wide lower 3" moldings on each side at the rocker area. This was std trim for the base car .

Type Lt cars (exterior trim) came with a black painted rocker area with the little narrow molding piece dividing the black rocker area from the body color.

Was this not the two ways the cars came in 1974 ?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    either one or the other . SC with the 3 inch and Type LT 3 piece . by 74 they had been building the Type LT for a year, so a mistake is pretty unlikely . and it wouldn't have been one mistake it would have been many mistakes to get to that point .

7. vfitom2aol.com

vfitom2aol.com Veteran Member

Mar 2, 2000
    NE PA
    Hard to imagine a type LT came with the 3" molding as stated above. Maybe a prior owner took off the LT trim and put the 3" on. I have never seen an original LT with the wide trim.

8. Jimmer

Jimmer Veteran Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Green Bay, Wis.
    Thanks everyone, and no, you are not being an ass David, and yes, you may use the term Unique, and not to confuse you, I was stating that my car just had some different, "unique" items like, why the 3" trim I had on my Type LT? It was 2 years old when I bought it, the original owner to this day says it came with it, did most base coupe Z's come with the 3"? Again, most 4-speed Z-28's came with a ,373 rearend, my car was special ordered with a .342 rearend at a cost. Do you know of any others? That is why I said Rare, not because a .342 is rare obviously, but because it came with one ordered. Thanks again for all everyone does here, it is appreciated!

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    Z28s with air conditioning and 4 speeds came with the 3.42 rear in 73 and 74 . all FQ87 came with the 3 in lower with all FS87 cars had the 3 piece . it would have been a major eff up as the body inspectors would have sign off on it . the trim inspectors would have had to have signed off on it . finally , final inspection would have had to have sign off on a obvious mistake that was easily fixed in the body shop . there were inspectors every 30 or 40 jobs so its unlikely it was a mistake .

10. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Minnesota
    Here's pics of my original LT rocker black out and trim. The factory workr that put it on looks like he was in a hurry. It isn't lined up too well. Never been off the car to date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]