Rocker molding

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by Jeep43, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    My 74 Z came with rocker moldings. Not on it, the previous owner gave me a pair of wide moldings when I bought the car. Not sure if they belong.

How can I find out if my car had rocker moldings when born? I don't have a build sheet. Were they a standalone option or part of a style package that I might have other parts of?

I don't know how they mount but assume a telltale sign would be holes down the rocker panel but mine are solid. The car was painted at one point so they could be filled.

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Is it a Type Lt because if it is it would get the 1 inch mouldings on the lower doors, fender and 1/4

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    All sport coupes had the wide rocker molding in 74

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
  5. stafs05

stafs05 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 26, 2007
    chicago,IL
    Hello on undisturbed rockers each side there would be welded tabs, they are the same as the tabs around your front and rear windows. Also on the bottom side of the rocker molding they are screwed, so there would be holes on the rocker itself. Again the only to find out would strip off the paint in the area were the holes would be.

6. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Not an LT. My car has body color inserts on door handles.

It has hood/fender/belt bright trim, bright lock pillar trim, no driprails, handle inserts

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    the wide rocker molding was on all sport coupes ( Non Type LTs ) . including Z21 style trim optioned sport coupes .

8. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Thanks. I'll wait till next year when I go to paint it to search for the original rocker molding holes.