rocker arms for my SBC 350: full roller vs roller tip only

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by need-for-speed, Jan 12, 2018.

1. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX
    Corky, It's just an extreme energy 262 flat tappet: .462 / .469 ; 218 / 224 110. I just had a performance 3 angle valve job, and I don't know what the springs are but they are new. The crappy springs that came from Eddy were weak - which is how I wound up needing a valve job - bent a valve :ack:

I'm kinda thinking I may just go with stamped steel. (that video just saved me a lot of money LOL)

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I have Eddy 6089 heads and they say it may require a .100 longer push rod. Keep in mind the rocker surface that contacts the valve stem on a stamped rocker is much larger than that of a roller rocker, so with hydraulic lifters with your cam, I don't see an issue.

I'm kind of concerned how a crappy spring from Eddy caused a valve to bend though. Did anyone do a valve to piston clearance check on assembly?

3. need-for-speed

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX
    yessir, would love to get paid to build and flog engines with other peoples money LOL. No, I do not plan to upgrade to 7/16. This isn't a hi rpm motor. I've spent enough money already! And I'll be getting the headers coated too after I test run it...... ugh.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I have seen springs break but there was a secondary spring that held the valve from dropping. Luck I suppose. The cam you show lift as not a radical amount. If you did a float of the valves maybe that could happen.

5. need-for-speed

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX
    I didn't check the clearance, but I was able to actually push the eddy valve springs by hand after I removed the heads (after the bent valve). When the shop (they are a performance shop) autopsied my heads before rebuilding, they said the spring pressure was WAY low. I wish I had written down the numbers he told me over the phone, but I didn't.

I rebuilt that engine back in 1992 and I put the eddy heads on in 2002 and never had an issue. I did have an "over rev" situation occur and that is when it happened. The shop said that there were indications that most of the valves had floated. I'm not sure how they can tell, but he did say that.

6. need-for-speed

Feb 7, 2003
    Conroe, TX

yessir, fortunately no springs broke. just weak.

7. CorkyE

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Maybe they could tell by dings in the pistons? I would be suspicious of lifters also.

8. CorkyE

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Something blitzing on my laptop, looks like I posted, got a couple flashes, and went to first page. Guess it could be 67 year old fingers also. :)

budro6968 likes this.
  9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I was just thinking that you forgot to post your comment. LOL

10. CorkyE

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Yea, I left the original spring on my heads when I changed to a roller cam setup. First trip down the track went smooth but when I turned on the juice, crap started happening before the (62K) light came on. Ordered roller springs next day, I figure I got lucky. One thing I have to adjust for is when the light comes, when I make the shift, and when the transmission responds.