Robert's 73 Formula

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hot72rod, Oct 6, 2014.

  1. hot72rod

    hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

    Well after going back to the glass man and giving the dims again, I know have another new piece of lexan that isn't cut square.

    [​IMG]
     
  2. hot72rod

    hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

    3rd times a chirm, it always pay to deal with a reputable company. After talking with the glass guy and letting them know that the first piece they cut was also wrong (my fault, I didn't tell them to cut it square and I was will to take the hit) they did not charge me for the 2nd or 3rd piece and they upgraded form 1/8" thick to 1/4" at no charge.

    [​IMG]

    With the new piece of lexan I was able to get my holes marked and drilled. Here is a pic of the mock up.

    [​IMG]
     
  3. Carolina Man

    Carolina Man Member

    56
    5
    Mar 18, 2017
    OK
    WOW this is a great build.
     
  4. hot72rod

    hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

    Thanks, I need to get back in high gear and really get some work done on the car.
     
  5. hot72rod

    hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

    Just a little clean up on the trim piece for the top and my cold air box will be done.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    branbell likes this.
  6. Carolina Man

    Carolina Man Member

    56
    5
    Mar 18, 2017
    OK
  7. hot72rod

    hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

    After talking to a couple of people in town I discovered that I had my catch can plumb wrong. So I set out earlier this week to fix the problem. Here is a pic from before and a pic of how the new plumbing turned out.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  8. hot72rod

    hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

    I need advise on the best way to polish this aluminum trim. I don't have to go as far as a mirror polish but it needs to be cleaned up a good bit from starches and to help to remove the glue.

    [​IMG]
     
  9. hoppin5478

    hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    488
    73
    Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I did my alternator not too long ago and here is the process I used. It came out nice but not quite a mirror finish. You most likely will need to start at 600-1000 grit sand paper but I started with 320 to get the rough casting flashes and nasty edges off the alternator case. I went 320, 400, 600, 1000 and finally 2000 grit all wet sanding with a small amount of dish soap in the water to lubricate a little. Yours looks pretty smooth so I'd start at 1000 to see if it'll get the scratches out and go from there. After the sanding I used some 3m buffing compound I had laying around applied with my air grinder and a small buffing wheel I had laying around. I worked the compound in really well and it brought the shine right out. I think better results would be pretty easy with some actual aluminum polish but I was impatient and used what I had laying around. I found aluminum to be fairly easy to work with it just takes some elbow grease to get a satisfactory finish.
     
  10. hot72rod

    hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

    For the most part it is smooth just a couple of little dings that I want to clean up, that and remove the glue with out leaving the metal discolored.

    I will give it a try.
     

Share This Page