RIP: Zachary R. Pacholke - My 1979 Camaro RS Restoration

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1979rallysport, Mar 19, 2009.

1. 1979rallysport

1979rallysport R.I.P 4/1/16 Gold Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    update

Guess what I got in today!? Yup the new compressor was in yesterday but i didnt get a chance to pick it up till today. 33 gallon 150 psi craftsman. I can finaly get back to my body work. This weekend i will probobly start cutting out the quarter panel and the front floor pans. Cant do anyhing else today though cause i have a ton of homework.
    [​IMG]
    oh and i think the camaro got jelous of my other classic lol kinda the green minibike in the next 2 pics (1972 suzuki mt50) i took it out of the garage for a little trip down the road.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 3SLO5

3SLO5 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Edison NJ USA
    good for you and hurray for school, if that was me i woulda found some way not to do homework and work on the camaro. One time my dad was home from work and i told him i didnt have shchool today because my grade didnt go in because of testing, i stayed home and worked on my car all day.

3. 1979rallysport

Mar 18, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    got homework done early so decided to start working on floor pans, remember im not done with what i did so far with the p/s floor pan still have to take out more and grind the edges smooth. The picture makes it look like its all rusted but the rest is just surface rust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 1979rallysport

Mar 18, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    cutting out rust

i have decided that if i am going to be buying a full partial floor pan that i might as well just replace the whole p/s partial floor pan instead of cutting out a patch panel out of my new floor pan. my question is with the new floor pan does it come up by the door jamb? i have it circled in the pics where i would like to cut out and replace.
    [​IMG]

5. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    No the new pan will not include the door jam. It will only go to the door jam.

6. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2001
    Waltham, MA. USA
    Zach, awesome progress your making. As OldStyle mentioned it does not include the door jambs, nor the toe board. From what I remembered, (I did not do the work, with ADD I would hardly get anything fully completed :eek: ), it only went up to that seam shown below. I took your image and drew lines to show you what I mean. The red lines are where the floor panel would be, and the toe board is separate. good luck

Dave

[​IMG]

7. 1979rallysport

Mar 18, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    sorry didnt mean the door jamb, i meant does the new floor pan come up towards the sill plate?

this is what i mean
    [​IMG]

8. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2001
    Waltham, MA. USA
    Zach

It might cover it, check out NPD they have a picture

http://npd.dirxion.com/Main.asp

On that Online Catalog link, Scroll to Body Parts and Sheet Metal in the Table of Contents scroll window on left side of screen. It is on Page 134 of the online catalog. If you magnify that page it may give you an idea. If not, reach out to FBody on NastyZ here. He can help out with the new part or even from a donor car. You might be OK but triple check. ;)

9. 1979rallysport

Mar 18, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Ok well for now Im putting that project on hold until I order the new floor pans, but now Im working on body work and ran into a little trouble. How do you remove the side window trim along the roof? I was able to pop off the trim thats on the door itself but the trim along the roof I cant seem to get. Any tricks to getting it off?

10. 1979rallysport

Mar 18, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    por15

another question, for the trunk and the floor pans does por15 spray on?