RIP: George Morris - 1955 - 2016 - Orange71 Winter Projects

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Orange71, Mar 21, 2010.

1. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Harrisburg, Pa

I used button heads on the end portions to clean up the look in the wheel wheels but have to say the rivots look really sharp.

2. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Love the final sheen George! Mine is not glossy at all and that's the way I like a spoiler to be. Looks great!

3. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Thanks Doug! Maybe we can call it icey black? What? :screwup: :p

4. PrimerZ383

PrimerZ383 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Fallston, Maryland
    Looks great! I have to remember what you did when it comes time to do mine. Hopefully we will be able to meet once I get mine on the road.

5. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Thanks! I have a few car friends out there in Harford County so we should meet up somewhere.

6. MikeDVC

MikeDVC Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Severn, MD
    The finish is perfect!

7. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Thanks Mike!

8. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    About this time last year I posted here that one of my projects for that winter was to change out the valve stem seals. Well, I never did get to doing that so it gets done this winter. A little smoke is showing at startup so I figure it's time to do the job. The Edelbrock RPM heads have been on the engine since 1997, gets about 2000 miles a season, and then sits for 3-4 months. I picked up the seals - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-9725/overview/ - last winter along with this valve spring compressor - http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=906784 - and air compressor line for the 14mm spark plug holes - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w84003

1st thing was to get the front of the car to a comfortable height for this old man:
    [​IMG]

Valves covers off & ready to go. Hmmm...are the g-braces going to be in the way?
    [​IMG]

Working the intake valve on the #1 cylinder:
    [​IMG]

Moving to the next cylinder in the firing order...uh-oh:
    [​IMG]

The g-braces are in the way of getting the compressor all the way on so they need to come off. I decided instead to move them out of the way. Another good thing about the adjustable braces. Remove the cowl & UCA mounts and loosen the fender mount. Then loosen the adjusters move the brace off the removed mounts and then completely remove the upper cowl portion of the brace. From there it can be moved out of the way.

[​IMG]

I finished up 5 cylinders before my back said enough. I picked up these earlier today and with a high of 25 degrees I figured this would work...it's time:
    [​IMG]

9. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    I was looking at the cowl panel the other day and had an idea that since the g-braces were off that I would make up a cowl panel brace that would fit under the panel and tie the g-braces together. I figure it would also strengthen the mounting points for the g-braces.
    I didn't take any fab pics but it's pretty much a 1"x3/16"x30" piece of steel with holes drilled out for the g-brace mounts and 2 more bolts closer to the center of the cowl panel to bring the brace up to the panel for a tight fit. After all the mock-up fitting painted it satin black and did the final install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MikeDVC

MikeDVC Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2006
    Severn, MD
    Great idea George.