RIP: George Morris - 1955 - 2016 - Orange71 Winter Projects

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Orange71, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Thanks!

More positive feedback that all this work will pay off!! :)

2. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Another maintenance issue became a mini project of sorts was a fuel pump & fuel line to carb replacement. My old Holley fuel pump is notorious for leaking and over the years retightening the many bolts has resulted in a few stripped threads and generally the thing needs a rebuild. This got me thinking about a replacement and finally changing out the temporary rubber fuel line to the carb (temporary for 12 years now). I liked the way Scott & Doug did their fuel lines so I stole a few things from them to build my new "system".

The old leak prone pump:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old fuel line to carb:
    [​IMG]

I also wanted to choose a pump that didn't require a regulator. I don't recall the psi rating of the old pump but I do remember it putting out 9psi the first time I fired the engine. I went back & forth on a few pumps but decided to go with the Holley 110gph 6-8psi with no regulator required -http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-327-11/
    I wanted to keep my lines black so it was a no brainer in choosing Earls Pro-Lite 350 nylon braided hose and a combo of black Earls, Russel, & Summit AN fittings.

First thing to do was my annual carb clean-up with fresh gaskets:
    [​IMG]

Install the new pump and freshened carb with new Earls dual feed line...note the pressure gauge fitting:
    [​IMG]

Make up the new lines, which was way easier than I thought it was going to be. The hardest part was measuring the hose to fit the way I wanted. Definately measure a few times before you cut!

The lines...hard line to pump and pump to carb including in-line filter:
    [​IMG]

Everything installed and tightened up...now where are those headers so I can fire this thing up and check for leaks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  3. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    That looks very nice.

4. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Cool, can't say I've ever seen black lines and fittings like that before.
    I still have the list Doug gave me also and can't wait to get to that point.

5. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    I think Scott (maxpsi) has the same or similar black lines. They do look good.

6. blades67

blades67 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Chandler, Arizona, USA
    Well done, George. Can't wait to see some shots of the headers when you get them back.

7. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    The fuel lines look great. At first I'm looking, and couldn't see them. They blend in well with your intake manifold.

What's next?

8. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Thanks guys!

A lot of those pics were taken without the flash so the chrome valve covers wouldn't reflect it and wash out the picture. The pics don't really show how nice and modern it all looks now compared to the rubber hose.
    I debated on getting a polished fuel filter and/or polished fittings to contrast with the black hose a bit but decided to go with black to coincide with the different look I'm going after.
    The engine compartment has mostly looked the same for 12 years now so I'm trying to give it a different look. Some of the pretty stuff is going to go and be replaced with a more plain look. Some of the chrome will stay as that's the style I grew up with but, as you've noticed so far, the fuel lines are simple, modern, & black and the headers will now be black. The rest of the exhaust has been bare steel since it was installed, with the exception of the mufflers(silver) and the tailpipes (chrome). Now, everything except the tailpipes will be painted black. Tailpipes remain chrome like the factory Z28 had. The pipes and mufflers were beginning to show their age and had a few areas where an old trans leak had burned onto them and was permanently stained.

Next to get done will be the rear sway bar kit I got from PTFB.

9. seventy7camaro

seventy7camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Those jobs have turned out great George. The bottom of the car looks just a magnificent as the exterior!

10. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD