RIP: George Morris - 1955 - 2016 - Orange71 Winter Projects

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Orange71, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Thanks guys!!

2. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Awesome, looks great George!:cool:

3. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Coming right up Scott!

While waiting for parts I had a few maintenance things to do that turned into projects. One of those was a pesky header gasket leak on the bottom of the center 2 tubes on both side. This has been going on for a while and I needed to figure out why.

You can see here that the leak was pretty bad. Both sides look the same. You can also see the problem. These are Edelbrock's RPM heads with the D shaped ports. The flat machined area under the ports are not wide enough (compared to the top surface) to seal up my Hooker Super Comp 1-3/4" header tubes. The outer ports have more machined surface. I think smaller 1-5/8" headers would have been fine. The gaskets would only seal about 1/16" on the lower tube. They would seal for a while but eventually burn through.

[​IMG]

I also found that the header flanges were not very flat. So to fix all this I welded a bead on the lower portion of the center tubes to allow more gasket sealing surface.

[​IMG]

Grind that down and reshape it. Then add another weld bead along the top which would then be finished flat. I did this part to all the tubes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the final grinding a surface flatening it was time take care of the warped flanges. I cut & seperated the 2 outer tubes from the center tubes...kinda like the old blackjack headers I had years ago!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a finished header next to the unfinished header.

[​IMG]

I finished up both headers, cleaned them up and sent them out to be re-coated. Pics of them later.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  4. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Good work on the headers George! What color are they going to be? What type of re-coating are you using? I am really disappointed with my ceramic coated Hooker headers. I have really low miles on them, and the ceramic coating is gone in a few spots. I remember Gary talking about how ceramic coating doesn't last in cold weather. When the photographer was here back in December, it was really cold the day he shot the car. He had me start and move the car a dozen different times. So the headers were getting warmed up, and cooled off really quick. That's when I noticed some of the ceramic coating was just gone.

I need to get mine re-coated too.

5. FRANKP74Z

FRANKP74Z Veteran Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Sayreville, New Jersey
    re-ceramic coated? Who would do that, the Manufacturer? Sounds like a great idea, mine could use it also. Please let me know how? who? where?
    Thanks Guys, Frank

6. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Great work on the headers George.I often thought about why they dont offer them cut anymore like you did to yours.Seems like theyd have a better chance of sealing.

7. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Thanks Laine!

I'm having them re-coated in...ahem...a dull semi gloss black. It's a high heat powdercoating done by Maryland Performance Coatings - http://www.mdpowdercoating.com/ - They're local to me and in fact the shop my brother paints for is right around the corner.
    I have seen a lot of cars around here that have had work done by them including header coatings. They all look good and the guys were happy with the results.
    The original ceramic coating didn't last long in places on mine either. In fact the portion that's exposed under the car had surface rust forming after a few years.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  8. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    I had the headers on my Chevelle done in a high heat powder coated black. They looked great the entire time I owned the car. I can only assume the coatings on headers when you buy them is cheaply applied, and having them re-coated by someone who specifically does coatings for a living will be like night and day.

9. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    That's good to hear Doug and I hope mine last a long, long time too. That and having headers that don't leak will be great. I'm getting tired of taking them off every other year or so.

10. marc_b

marc_b Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Livermore, Ca
    Great job with that front brace and sway bar. I had to do the same thing with my headers 5 years ago and seperate the tubes on the mounting flange. Haven't had a blown gasket since.