RIP: George Morris - 1955 - 2016 - Orange71 Winter Projects

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Orange71, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    It's been a long winter and I've started a few projects on the car. I've just begun to get some of those finished.
    I wanted to stiffen up the suspension/chassis a little bit so i did some shopping at PTFB. I bought their front sway bar brace (actually I bought it from a site member), adjustable rear sway bar kit, and their new adjustable pro g-braces.

First to be finished was the front sway bar brace -

Installing it seemed pretty straight forward as it mounts between the frame and sway bar frame bushings. I didn't take a lot of pics of the install but there's a few things that needs to be done to make it fit right. The frame plate will need to be trimed to sit flat on the frame. The plate is a little big and interfers with the frame overlap seams. Also, on mine I had to drill out the holes as they didn't line up exactly right. I didn't like the fact that the brace and swar bar would be held onto the frame with the same bolts. So I welded the brace to the frame once I had it all lined up then bolted the sway bar back on. The kit comes with longer bolts and other hardware.
    Looks pretty good with the T/A 1-1/4" sway bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Looks good George.

3. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Looks good George..................winter is almost over :bowtie:

4. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    While I was under the front of the car I noticed that the right side LCA frame mount had a cracked weld and seperated from the frame a bit :eek: :

[​IMG]

Many years ago when this was my daily driver, I hit a curb at slow speed (raining, bias ply tires, wheels turned, car went straight). Anyway, it broke the tire, bent the rim and bent the lower ball joint. I'm guessing that's when this started and it took this long to showup. I'm under the car a lot and I never noticed it before now.

It's fixed now:
    [​IMG]

5. Orange71

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    Thanks Chris!

Thanks Guy! Almost over and I'm not ready yet...

6. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Well get busy man ;)

7. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    That's a beefy addition on that sway bar brace. That control arm mount crack was a good catch. I have seen some guys go through a re-weld everything on the sub frame. I never did this, but wish I would have.

8. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member

9. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
  10. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 21, 2006
    West of Chicago
    Underneath looks as good as topside, but I would expect that from you George. MORE PICS, MORE PROGRESS!!!! :cool: