RIP Gas Ronda...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buickfunnycar, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Race in Peace Mr. Gas Ronda, a true gentleman and pioneer.

We were pitted next to him at last years CHRR and he was very gracious and cordial, he told me his first race car was a Buick.

Here's Gas, Kenny Youngblood and me...RIP
    IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Damn, not another one :(

Condolences to all his fans, friends & family!!!!

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Didn't know he was one of us!!!!!! Another ship mate lost :(

Before he began drag racing, Gas served in the U.S. Navy during World War II –
    he was aboard the cargo ship USS Algorab (AKA-8) during his tour of duty in the Pacific.

4. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    IIRC he had Gas Ronda aboard a Air Craft Carrier putting on a show doing burnouts.

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

6. Buickfunnycar

Was a lifelong car salesman and ballroom dancer...

7. Buickfunnycar

Note on FB from son John Ronda:

My dad
    Today at Palm desert
    Father

My father Gas Ronda passed today at 6.35 AM . My dad served in world war 2 his ship sank in the pacific. He was a professional dancer. Owned 3 Arthur Murray dance studios in the SF bay area. He later became a world renown race car driver with many world championships. Until in the late 70s when he had a fiery crash that ended his career. He was in orange county burn center for 6 months not expected to live but he was a fighter . After that k...nowing he could not race again he for the 3rd time reinvented himself and became a successful night club owner. In west Covina ca.He was a man that helped build what professional drag racing is today. In my eyes he was the best there was. He always had time for the fans and they loved him very much he gave so much to the sport. And that's why 1 year ago he was inducted into the NHRA Hall of Fame. He did all this with a 10th grade education a son of a emigrant from Spain. He was the most popular and well known Hispanic race cardriver in modern times. And he will be missed. As my friend just told me he is now at the race track in heaven, ruling the track ! Racing guys like Jungle Jim, Dick Landy , Phil Bonner, Ed terry and Les Ritchie to name a few . love you dad. J

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    That's a shame. R.I.P. Mr Ronda. What a full and diverse life.