Reverse/lock steering linkage

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by ncarcamguy, Mar 17, 2017.

1. ncarcamguy

ncarcamguy New Member

Jan 27, 2017
    Hi there camaro world. Im working on a 70 r/s s/s. small block and Im trying to keep my steering lock when put in reverse .(4 speed)...AND use headers ....does anyone know of a way??? Cable maybe?? Thanks

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My back rod linkage worked with my ST10 and hooker headers. I suppose the trick is the right headers.

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
  4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used Hedman elite headers on my car and kept my back drive linkage working no problem.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The right headers will not interfere with the backdrive linkage. I've had 3 different brands of headers on my Camaro in the last 40 years and none of them got in the way of the backdrive linkage. Properly designed parts will fit.
    Buy your headers locally with the guarantee that they fit. If they don't, take them back for a refund or replacement of a better brand.

6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I also used Hedman elite headers. Based on the research I did here and the recommendation of other members. They fit great and no issues with having to use shorter spark plugs or spark plug wire boots touching the tubes. Still had a little interference with the back drive that's why I fabed my own linkage.

7. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I don't have a back drive linkage for the TH 350 in my Camaro. Maybe I should take a chance and buy one.

8. ncarcamguy

ncarcamguy New Member

Jan 27, 2017
    Ii was told the bell crank on the frame is the problem..not so much the rod...???

9. ncarcamguy

ncarcamguy New Member

Jan 27, 2017
    Thanks to all for the great info. Will try the HEADMAN brand. ✌