Reverse Light Switch

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Hey G, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    Well, I decided to take care of a small issue that I have been wanting to fix. At some point in my cars life the owner decided they did not like the original linkage that controlled the reverse lights...so I have no way of controlling the reverse lights. Also, I am not a big fan of the original configuration for the reverse light activation...all that linkage and bellcrank business...way too much going on just to make some lights work.

Anyway, I ordered a 68-78 Corvette reverse switch for a manual (Muncie of course) transmission. The switch looks really sturdy and came with all the mounting hardware as well. The wire colors even match the wire colors of my '72 reverse light wires...bonus! Here's the part number.

[​IMG]

So the bracket mounts to the transmission with two side cover bolts (one of which I stripped and will fix at a later date with a heli-coil). Anyway, then the switch mounts to the bracket with slotted holes. You have to adjust the switch to get it aligned just right, but it comes with good instructions and works as advertised. Here's a pic of the switch mounted and the control rod hanging free.

[​IMG]

Here's another shot of the switch and mount bracket.

[​IMG]

And the final product...lights work!

[​IMG]

Like I said earlier, this is not the original configuration for this car, but I think it is better than the factory linkage. So if you are building a street driven/daily driver like mine...this will get your lights working, so you will be legit and not get crunched when backing out of a parking spot. I bought the kit off ebay for $89 and I am very happy with the outcome.

G

2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    If you have the backdrive linkage disconnected, you can also just rotate the steering column sleeve to turn on the reverse lights ...the column sleeve also operates the steering lock and key removal .

3. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    ...and the neutral start switch, that I don't use either. I thought about just rotating the sleeve to turn on lights, but didn't like that solution. Also, I'm not sure about the steering lock...my steering only locks when the key is removed, but you are right about key removal. That sleeve will prevent the key from being turned off fully and removed.

Thanks for your comments.

G

4. Lencross

Lencross Veteran Member

Looks good question does everything u need come with the package. I just switched to a Muncie. Thx

5. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2012
    SC
    Yes. Switch, mount bracket, rod and bolts.

6. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Member Gold Member

May 12, 2016
    Calgary AB
    I wonder if they make this kit for a T10....

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    That should work great for you. GM used a similar setup for a few years, but dropped it in later years. The position of the switch under the car makes it vulnerable to road dirt, mud, and water. Don't expect the long life you would get with the switch inside the car.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Good to have a positive switch for those lights. Forget to turn them off with a manual type deal and risk a pretty hefty fine in these parts. White lights on the rear of a vehicle on the highway is a big no-no.