Returning a 1973 to the road after 15years in a garage

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Mundy, Jan 23, 2017.

1. RLL Z-28

RLL Z-28 Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Chattanooga,Tennessee
    Good I'll wait and see what you think of it, and to make sure the slop is or isn't from the previous owner quick install.

2. Mundy

Mundy New Member

Jan 23, 2017
    I have had it in and out a couple times to check for worn out parts and make adjustments. It just seems that there are allot of moving parts due to the ability to be in either gate and each part adds its own tolerance and they add up quick.

It is of course used so there is some wear and I tightened it up where possible. I looked into the rebuild kit but none of the parts in the kit are worn.

I am prob just being to picky.

RLL Z-28 likes this.
  3. Mundy

Mundy New Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Made the first trip around the block last night.
    I have some cleanup to do and put the hood back on and its ready to hit the street.[​IMG]

FlaJunkie likes this.
  4. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Good job!! Looking good!

5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
  6. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Glad to see it getting out on the road!

7. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
  8. Mundy

Mundy New Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Made the first weekend road trip out and opened our camper for the season. Had a few minor bugs but nothing major. Had to rewire the trunk wire harness for the taillights when I got home. We intermittently had taillights and the temp gauge reads 230 but my infra red heat gun reads 175 to 190 all over the water passages and intake. I think I may need a resistor in the temp wire. Just glad to have made it out and back with only those two bugs. it is also crazy looking at the progression over the last final weeks from ratty to smooth as everything fell in order.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dcozzi and brooksman9 like this.
  9. Mundy

Mundy New Member

Jan 23, 2017
    One step forward and 2 back.

I replaced a rear axle wheel bearing Wednesday night just to find out all I needed to do was add another bottle of LSD Friction modifier.

I thought I had traced the noise to the driver side bearing even though it looked fine. I was positive it couldn't be the clutches as I had filled with gear oil that contained additive and added a bottle Hapco limited slip additive.
    I just thought I had caught the bearing early enough no damage had been done to the axle.

Well after the replacement the horrible grind clunk noise remained.
    So as a last ditch effort I bought a bottle of GM limited slip additive and dumped it in. I will never buy that Hapco LSD additive again.
    The noise is now gone and axle works perfectly.

That was my step forward.

Now this morning backing out of the garage it stalled, When I started it back up it had a miss and was blowing white smoke.

So I pulled it back in and drove my truck to work.

Not sure if jumping time would cause that but I am sitting here in my office questioning if I tightened the distributor when I set timing the other night, but am feeling like it may be a head gasket.

I will check fluids and look for a loose distributor tonight, otherwise I guess I will pull plugs before I try to start it tonight.

Any other suggestions for a sudden miss and white smoke?

10. Mundy

Mundy New Member

Jan 23, 2017
    UPDATE***

Turned out to just be a stuck float dumping fuel. Happy day!

Stopped home on lunch and checked things out. There was little puddle of gas on the intake and when I started it it ran and stalled and gas was dripping out around the secondary plunger shaft.

A couple taps with a mallet and it stopped and is now running as good as ever.