Restoring from 5000 miles away

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hujibwa666, Mar 12, 2008.

1. hujibwa666

hujibwa666 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I have a 79 back in NY that I haven't been able to work on for about three and a half years now, because I've been in the Army. They shipped me up to Alaska, and I just can't get anything done in the three weeks a year that I spend back in NY. I came up with a solution though! I bought a ratty old 81 for dirt cheap that has the windshield, black interior and a couple of other things that I've been trying to find for my car forever. Anyway, I've got 6 months left in the Army and have a ton of time on my hands.... so I'm going to restore a bunch of parts on this car, and then transfer them over to my 79 when I get back. I'm going to strip down the front end this weekend and get the subframe ready for paint and a rebuild, then do a spraypaint and RTV rebuild on the junk 305. When its shipped back, I'll just undo the 4 subframe bolts and roll it under my 79 and call it a day!

2. WMCC Doug

WMCC Doug Veteran Member

Oct 16, 2002
    Wyoming, MI
    Sounds like a good plan to me!

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    5000 miles?!?

I've got some long 3/8" socket extensions but nothing like that! ;)

Pretty much everything is an even swap so have fun!

4. hujibwa666

Dec 18, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Some progress

The teardown is always my favorite part. Everything has gone incredibly smooth so far, except for one of the subframe bolts not coming out. I had to grind the head off. This is what me and a friend did in about 5 hours

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus the sweet dolly thing that I made so I can move the car around while I'm working on the frame. It costs about $30 to build and is holding up well so far. I bolted it in using the subframe bolts and the rear mounts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 79HumbleBee

79HumbleBee Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 3, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    sounds like what im going through at the moment. i just dont have another car to chop up for it. and im not in a friendly country.

6. hujibwa666

Dec 18, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I did a lot of that when I was deployed too. I pretty much listed everything that I had to do to completely finish my Camaro, in order, damn near every nut and bolt... haha. We were undermanned, so I was doing 8 hour tower guard shifts plus 8 hour work shifts on top of missions.... eek! I had a bunch of free time to daydream, and a lot of time when I just wanted to go somewhere else in my head, so whenever I got computer access (like once a month) I'd buy stuff for my Camaro. I got some torq thrust 2's, brake parts, engine parts, interior stuff, hell I even bought a different Camaro off of a member here just so I'd have something to drive when I was home on my mid tour leave!