restoring a car trailer

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Prototype4342, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

a couple pieces of 2x8 a few feet long.

2. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    hmm, i have some left over pieces from the bed, maybe i'll try to fab some ramps. will the wood by itself hold up the car?

3. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

not as ramps, lay em on the ground so the ramps land on em. That will get the ramps up1-1/2" at the leading edge. drive the car up onto the 2x then onto the ramps.

4. what is the reason to have a extended front hitch?? (Extended tongue)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    The trailer builder uses the same frame for both the 18' and 20' deck trailers. The length of the tongue to the axle center line on this trailer works real well. I had one of his 20' wood deck models before this one and it pulled excellent both loaded and empty. This one has the same characteristics, just a shorter deck. The ball to axle length also make these trailers very easy to back up. There have been tight spots I needed to get into and can completely jack knife the trailer with out it hitting the truck.

Here is a photo of the 20' model. Same winch and tool box just mounted differently. The higher mount of the winch on the 18' trailer does work better for pulling cars onto the trailer. The battery box is now inside the tool box for added security.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another feature I like is the rear stowing ramps, just slide out and place on the rail, they are covered with diamond plate, are 5' long and with the dove tail on the trailer even lowered cars do not drag while loading. Even the car doors will open without hitting the fenders. A lot of thought was put into building these models.

here is a photo of my very first one purchased in 2000 and used for 4 years, each one was a learning experience. The one I have now is a keeper.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  6. z28cp

z28cp Veteran Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Bellevue, NE
    My favored trick for short ramps is to put the rear of the tow vehicle up on a pair of ramps. This puts the trailer deck more inline with the trailer ramps. Just be sure to put the park brake on in the tow vehicle.

7. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have 2 Vettes and they both sit VERY low. A trick I use is to do like Mark says and lay a couple of 2x12's down with the ramp on top of them...
    I also crank the landing jack up as far as it will go... this lifts the back tires of my Suburban almost off the ground (so chock the fronts) which lowers the rear of the trailer.
    Did you get the brakes fixed yet?

8. Prototype4342

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    not yet, i'm hitting a trailer place on the way out to see what they can do. everyone has said they can not fix it because of where they are cut, and i would need to replace the whole brake assembly.

oh and the car got up on the trailer today with no problems, i actually bought some of those oil change ramp things and put those under the ramps i have and it went up with plenty of clearance.

9. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Ma.
    Thats a good idea I may use it.

10. Prototype4342

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    next trailer i get will be longer, this one is only 13 feet, the car hangs off of both ends [i knew it would, but it was more about the price this time]i think next time i'll get a 19 or 20 footer with a wench and toolbox on it.