restoring a car trailer

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Prototype4342, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    well me and my wife decided that we would buy a car trailer instead of renting one, since we have to move the camaro to and from colorado when i get deployed. well, we find this gem for 500 dollars on craigslist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it looked structurally sound, so we bought it. however, under that top layer of plywood we found this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yikes! no way i'm putting any of my vehicles on that.

so we pulled off the old rotten wood

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

today we sanded down all of the supporting structure and hit it with stops rust

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we'll be undercoating all the surfaces, or maybe putting on truck bed lining, and replacing the wood.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Looks pretty good after you got rid of all the crappy wood!
    $500 bucks is a damm good price.

3. Prototype4342

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    that's what i said, every other trailer we saw was at least 1000 dollars in about this same shape, i figure the total cost will be about 700 after the new wood and everything.

also i edited the first post, i realized that the first three pictures were all the same, haha

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Roll it with some Ace satin black outdoor paint, damz good stuff. Take the hubs off and repack the bearings and you have a piece of mind. Good snatch on the trailer...

5. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Good score on that! We just replaced all the wood on ours last fall also.

6. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

find a local sawmill and buy some roughcut planks.. reflooring a trailer is easy.
    the frame itself looks pretty damned good and the price was smokin'
    don't forget to service the hubs and brakes before you leave
    nice score!:cool:

7. Prototype4342

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    i'm not sure if there is a sawmill nearby, killeen is a pretty small town, i think it would be cheaper to buy the wood at one of the big stores instead of driving to austin or waco to pick it up. i'll keep that in mind though. should i try to water seal the wood before i put it on? or is that just a waste of money?

8. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    looks like my first trailer. Angle iron construction makes it light duty, but I towed mine all over the state of AZ with my 64 Malibu on it for years before upgrading to a heavier design. Once you get moved you should be able to turn a profit on it if you decide to sell.
    I now own a metal decked trailer due to the short life of the wood, even if it is treated the life span is only a few years. The wood is nicer all around, metal is really slippery when wet or has oil on it.

9. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

a buddy of mine used to own a truck service company and we would refloor trailers at night... we used asphalt cutback and thinned it with gas to treat them. you might want to use something different though... it was kinda like homemade creasote. I doubt you want that on your trailer.. lol

my trailer is a diamond check steel deck.. so no idea on what to use on yours.

10. Prototype4342

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    i was hoping for a metal-decked trailer, but this one was the right price. eventually i'll have a covered toy hauler, but that's a ways down the road...

just noticed a little bit of cracking on the tires so those may get replaced as well, last thing i want on an 800 mile trip is a blowout with no spare.