Restoring 71 Camaro

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by HotRodGarage, Oct 5, 2017.

1. HotRodGarage

HotRodGarage New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Hey guys, HRG here.

Have a question about our restoration here.

We are installing a keyless entry/remote/push button start system into this vehicle.
    Everything so far is working, except the remote start.

After reading over the MINIMAL information provided I've come to the conclusion that the computer for the remote start MUST have a single from the e-brake showing it is engaged before remote start will work.

The wire for the e-brake is dual function, it must either be tied into the e-brake sensor (newer vehicles) or grounded to the chassis (for automatic transmission only)

The issue I'm running into is with so little documentation and very little knowledge of the function of these computers, I have two ideas to get around this vehicle only having a manual cable e-brake.

1. Install a simple toggle switch to break and make a 12v circuit to tell the computer when the e-brake is applied or not. (Issue is I don't know if it requires a data signal or a 12v.)

2. Simply ground the wire and let the remote start think it is an auto trans. Which will allow the vehicle to remote start at all times. (Issue here is that even if the vehicle is in 1st gear, it WILL start, which is extremely unsafe)

Does anyone have any input into this?

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Is this a stock 4 speed car or a 5 or 6 speed conversion? If it is a stock 4 speed car and the reverse backdrove linkage is in place, then linkage will not allow the key to be switched off and removed when the shifter is in reverse. This is obviously not desirable. What you will need to do is to ensure that the transmission is in neutral and the parking brake is set before removing the key. Depending on how far you want to go, this will be somewhat of a challenge. To fully automate this, you will need to remove the reverse linkage and adapt some sensors (switches) to the shift linkage so that the shifter is set to neutral. This can then fire a 12V solenoid that attaches to the column lever that will rotate the column lower housing/shell so that the key can be removed. This then can tie into a series input relay arrangement that together with the input from the parking brake set switch will the provide an input to the computer that everything is set. The logic is: parking brake set+steering column set to key release position=+12v input to computer.

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    What system are you running? I'm using Advanced Keys and mine doesn't have anything like that.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I guess if you're in neutral, I'm not sure what extra value you get out of adding the ebrake as an added condition for starting the car to warrant the added complexity of the setup. I'd definitelty agree with having a neutral safety switch as a condition for start though.

5. HotRodGarage

HotRodGarage New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    It is a 6 speed.

Also, the keyless/push to start kit we have is from China, it has no brand name, no part number, nothing. My boss ordered it before I got here to do all of the electrical for them because they were having such a big problem.

Also this vehicle will have ZERO keys. The key ignition is removed. There won't even be a sensor key in the dash, it is all operated from within the vehicle and a single keyfob for proximity ignition saftey.

The addition of the e-brake to the remote start function is so that we don't have to play around with a neutral location switch. Because it would be very hard to install a switch that is made when the vehicle is in neutral rather than just having an e-brake engaged switch telling the computer that it can remote start safely

6. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Hmmm....I have seen these setups before and always wonder about the intrinsic safety. How do make sure the car is in neutral and the parking brake is set before allowing the person to exit the car? Do you lock-out the doors and have some sort of button on the key fob? Do you let the person exit and beep the horn when the key fob moves out of range if the parking brake is not set? Then you can watch the car slowly roll away? Seems like somehow you have to make sure that brake is set before the driver exits. Electric shock?

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    So if I'm understanding you correctly, you want to go around the neutral safety switch? I hope I'm misunderstand that if you're going to install a remote start on a manual transmission vehicle.

8. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Yeah,I want to watch the first time someone doesn’t put it in neutral and hits the start button.

9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    That sounds a little scary...

What i ended up doing is wiring in my keyless setup "in parallel" with the factory keyed ignition. If the keyless ever fails, I can start it with the key.

It happened recently when the battery in the key fob finally died and wouldn't activate the system. I would have been stranded if it wasn't for how I set it up.

10. HotRodGarage

HotRodGarage New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    No I'm not going around the neutral saftey switch. I am just trying to figure out how to hook up the wire for the e-brake sensor on the remote start computer with the vehicle having a fully mechanical e-brake, meaning there isn't a sensor for it in place already.

Someone had said to install a switch for the when the shifter is in neutral to have the switch made telling the computer that it is ready to start (in place of using the e-brake)

Unless I misunderstood.