Restoration questions...

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by FlaJunkie, Feb 28, 2018.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Was FloridaJunkie NOT talking about R/S Grill surrounds ???

"640.00 to re-chrome the standard pot-metal grill surround"

or was this for the two pieces of die cast chrome that go around
    a standard (full bumper) grill................????
    which in that case would be outrageously HIGH!!!!!!!!

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Thought the discussion was on the standard grille.
    I was talking about the two pieces around a standard grille. They are two pieces too.

640 is expensive, but I've been unable to find any NOS replacements separate from the grille and even buying the entire grill NOS may not ensure nice chrome.

See here:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-EAR...ash=item41dc9c88b1:g:Ny8AAOSwtTBanHCx&vxp=mtr
    This one doesn't look that good.

Are the repops any good?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-70-...ash=item232c53223e:g:liUAAOSw~uJaXQA1&vxp=mtr

No answers so far.

3. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Dave, I'm sitting on one NOS grill NIB that I guess I better open and inspect.....
    Saving for my 70 L-78 resto

How much are "Good/VeryGood" used 70/71 Grilles going for ???

4. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Chuck,

Don't know what they are going for, only what the eBay auction was asking which is coincidentally about the same as having my parts chromed. Just by looking at the photo on eBay, I'm skeptical on how good the chrome is on it. It looks pitted already.

5. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Wellll, the plot thickens.

Went to talk the chromer (I actually didn't see him when I dropped off the parts on Saturday, talked to his wife) and he asked me some more detailed questions about the grille surround.

He thought that the surround outside edge (the edge that is against the sheet metal) was visible and needed to be completely flat and polished. This edge is pretty rough from the factory with bent tabs that lock to the plastic grill etc.. When he found this out, the cost dropped down to 250 for both pieces. Still pricey but much better. Still close to 2 grand for the whole job.