Reproduction 70 nose in fiberglass ....ugh

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Plant Engineer, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    I got it lined up on the sides which matched up with the bottom. Just the center two feet was off on top. Cut it, pulled out the foam to push the plates down and did the first layer of glass today. I'll pull the nose off tomorrow and fill in the back side and sculpt the front to match the panel. Little glass, little bondo etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    8+ hours of reshape......huh. didn't take 8 hour's to make from scratch, gel coat, gun clean up, layup and all. Go figure.

3. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    If they had laid it up right it wouldnt take any time to fix. I will say its closer than the other nose piece by a wide margin but its so far off that it couldnt get used as is under any circumstance. I certainly wouldnt recommend anyone buy one unless that have some free time on their hands. It'll look fine when its done but its not a one session fix. It'll be 3 separate fiberglass sessions then finish work.

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Wow that's a lot of work. Nice you have the ability to fix this mess. I would be S out of luck.

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I saw you say 8 hours, but it will take longer. That stuff shrinks after a couple days so don't rush to finish. After you get it all done you should make a mold to reproduce. Maybe could make a little money on the side. Good luck...

6. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    You'd have more time into that nose than you would with the glass. For a resto it would be worth it.

7. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    OP: in the first photo it looks as though your header panel is, well, lumpy on the passenger side. It may just be the photo and/or lighting...but is that contributing to the problem? I appreciate your post as I have been contemplating repairing one of my two originals or buying a fiberglass piece...keep vacillating.

8. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Its straight. Must be the lighting. Should be finished up this weekend. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

9. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Those parts should not even be called reproductions. They should be called approximate replacements when you have nothing else.Sometimes when you struggle to get this stuff to fit you're in too deep (time wise) to smash it on the floor and run it over with a truck, which is what I've felt like doing many times. At that point it's too late to cut your losses. Looks like you're coming around the club house turn in the home stretch now. I commend you on your patience. Nice work.