Reproduction 70 nose in fiberglass ....ugh

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Plant Engineer, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Ive got two different repro fiberglass '70 noses. Both of them suck. I mean not even close to fitting. Its not actually a '70 so I'm not terribly concerned if its not factory but I want it to look good. I'm thinking about just glassing one of them on the front , smoothing it , painting and calling it a day. The one in the pick is a good 3/8" higher in the middle so its either build up the outside or cut down the middle or just bondo the whole thing on. If you click on the pic you can see how bad it is and thats the best of the two. Not going to buy another. Opinions?

[​IMG]

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Do good used OE noses show up on EBAY ???

3. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Never and Ive got to use what Ive got. Originals are way too heavy . Repro urethane arent much better than the repro fiberglass from what I understand. If it were a restoration I'd try to get a original or a repro urethane but for my 79 I'd prefer to keep it as light as possible.

4. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    From whom are the nose pcs from, can I suggest Keith from Kustom Works nose........

5. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    That is a Kustom Works nose piece

6. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    ooops

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Too bad you can't shape fiberglass with a BMF. :(

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That must be par for the course. I have seen a few buddies that have done kit cars to make hot rods. Some of the parts are full of holes and don't line up well. One guy ordered a set of ground effects for a VW GTI. The running boards or rocker panel covers were a full 2 inches short. He ended up cutting into 3 pieces and glassing up to make them work. It is a pain. I was the one to paint after. Funny after all that work he ended up trading the car after about a month.

9. Plant Engineer

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    I think they just lay this stuff up by hand and get several hours into it before they realize that it doesnt fit even on their stuff. Then they ship it. Its up to the end user to make it fit. I'll probably just build up the outer edges with fiberglass up to the edges of the panel . Its going to take a good 8 hours+ of hand work to make it fit right. Iv'e seen some fiberglass and carbon fiber front panels that had the grill fascia integrated into the upper panel but they just don't look quite right to me.

10. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    I agree with cutting and reshaping the fiberglass. Cut and reshape is the way I would go.