Replacing Trunk Filler Panel (also called the upper package tray?)

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Stroked, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Stroked

Stroked New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    The funny (sad) thing is that I have had this car since I was 21, looked the car over and only had a little rust in the driver side floor pan. I proceeded to spend every dime I made on shoving a 496 in the engine bay lol. Didn't upgrade the brakes, never replaced fuel lines, and left the horrific hacked factory wiring harness in place. I had no idea all this rot was hiding under the surface. Now, at 35, I realize what a death trap this thing was while I was making 140mph passes in it. Young and invincible I guess. I would like to meet the "body man" that made some of these repairs. Luckily this is my last bit of rust to tackle and then its time to start paint prep.

The picture shows whats left of the fiber glass "repair." They didn't even bother treating the rust before slapping layer after layer of mesh and then body filler. Ill post a photo of the equally awesome quarter panel repair when I'm out in the shop this weekend.

Attached Files:

2. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    When I see the rot that so many of you are dealing with, I feel really, REALLY lucky. All I've had to repair is the lower rear of the left fender and I'm about to tackle the lower right quarter panel. The fender was eat up pretty bad so I had to patch it almost up to the body line, but the quarter just has a few pinholes near the bottom. Gotta tear all the lights and trim off the back first...

Almost forgot the hood. Oh that damned hood... water got under the stripes and pitted it pretty bad. I didn't see any holes, but when I lift the hood it sounded like it was full of rocks and sand. Tons of rust moving around in there. The only way I could think to get that out is remove the skin. That would let me fix the rust while I'm in there and really see if there are any holes. Cutting all those spot welds is daunting though. The other options are to find good hood, which in FL is like hunting unicorns, get a repop hood (but sadly they don't repop Z28 hoods so it won't be correct), or go with a fiberglass hood. Not super happy with any of the options, so I'll grit my teeth and break out the spot weld cutter.

Still, I don't feel too bad. If I faced what you guys have tackled I'd probably cry a while and walk away. :D Props to you for your dedication and persistence!

3. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    I replaced mine without removing the quarters, been a long time but if I recall it wasn't that bad to do

bracket1.jpg bracket2.jpg DSCF4845.jpg DSCF4856.jpg DSCF4857.jpg reardeckhinge.jpg

4. Stroked

Stroked New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Great photos! This confirms I have a solid game plan. Tomorrow starts what is hopefully my last rust repair on this car. I was originally going to paint this car a satin silver, now after all this metal work, I am going down to bare metal and putting the best paint job I can on this thing lol. Of course painting will be a first for me also.
    Thanks again for the pics.

5. Stroked

Stroked New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Well after spending all day in the shop, I found some pretty interesting repairs.
    Yup, someone had welded over rust (impressive actually) and used an entire gallon of filler. They also managed to destroy what little usable metal there was where the quarter ties into the filler panel.
    The "patch" in the quarter was under 1.5" of filler. The area surrounding the filler/patch has been so warped from over heating, that it looks like it has been beat with a hammer.
    The passenger side is pristine. So now I am going to cut out all the shenanigans going on with the quarter panel and patch it properly. IMG_1064[1].JPG IMG_1067[1].JPG IMG_1071[1].JPG

6. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    I think I have a solid rear package tray if you are interested. PM me for pics

7. Stroked

Stroked New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Quick update for anyone who might be getting ready to do this same job.
    I have been very busy with work (I am a trim guy and it's almost car show season). I finally got the old panel out and am going to clean things up and get ready to weld in the new metal. I am still trying to get a game plan for the left quarter panel damage. I really don't want to spend $400 for a quarter panel and cut out the tiny section I need. Seems like a giant waste of money. I am going to try and make my own patch panel but there are some pretty interesting angles and shapes going on.
    Anyone have any recommendations? Should I just bite the bullet and order a replacement panel for the area I need? Try and find a donor car to hack the section I need? The donor car would probably be rotted in the same place however. For now, I am going to try to hand shape a patch. Another opportunity to learn!

Attached Files: