Replacing Trunk Filler Panel (also called the upper package tray?)

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Stroked, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Stroked

Stroked New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    I have been a lurker here for a long time and have learned a ton. I have searched google and this forum and have not found what I'm looking for. So apologies if I have missed something. My "scuff and shoot" on my 73 z28 has turned into a restoration. Found rot in all the typical spots.
    I have rot in the usual place below the rear window. The window channel itself and roof skin is fine. The trunk filler panel and half of the package tray are not. The rot has crept into the quarter panel as well, just slighty though.
    My question is, can I replace the package tray and filler panel without removing the quarters? I see there are spot welds holding the quarter panel to the filler panel, which is welded to the drop down brackets (I think I have that right).
    Anyway, I have watched Double R's videos but he had the quarters cut out in the area I am asking about. I am hoping to pop a few spot welds loose, cut out the cancer, weld in the replacement panels and then re-weld the few spot welds on the quarter panel that I bust loose. Does that sound like a good plan of attack, or a I missing something here? I dont want to mess with the quarters anymore than just drilling a few spot welds if I dont have to.
    Thanks in advance guys. I know many of you have probably been here but I just cant find a definite answer or video.

Attached Files:

2. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    When I replaced mine, I knew I was going to replace the quarters, so I just cut them out of the way. You may be able to do it, but it will be tough to get that panel under the original quarters. There is also a piece of inner structure that is welded there also which will complicate it. My inner structure on the right side was rusted really bad and needing to be repaired. If you are unable to do it, you could always take a saw with a thin blade and remove that area of the quarter, butt welding it back together after replacing the deck filler. Hope it helps. Russ

3. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    image.jpg image.jpg You can see in these two pics of my 73 Z where I removed that panel with my original rt 1/4 still on and after I replaced my Lt side already. I thought i had more pics of this but these are all i can find

Double R Restorations likes this.
  4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Bill , I'm having trouble comprehending what Im seeing in your pics
    and what is the "loose" piece that is sitting towards the rear.....

What mfg makes the panel that the bottom of the rear window
    would lie against (The cancered area in Stroked pics)

5. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Chuck the piece at the bottom is the new panel flipped upside down. I got the panel from my local Dynacorn distributor but not sure if they actually make it or not, can't remember that was like 3 years ago but it fit really well. The hardest part is making sure u put the trunk hinges back in the correct place

6. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Nice pics Bill. I agree. Definitely spend some time measuring out the trunk hinges. I went as far as test fitting the deck lid with the hinges bolted to the lower deck filer panel prior to welding.

Here is a pic of the lower deck filler sitting under the inner structure. Like I mentioned my right side had to be repaired due to rust. The rust was also in the right package tray extension piece also.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    bodymanbill likes this.
  7. Stroked

Stroked New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Thank you for the reply and the photos. This gives me hope. Once I start drilling the spot welds and removing metal, we'll see what other surprises may be lurking. In my photos, you can see there is rot in my package tray as well. There has also been a previous repair made to the left quarter panel in the area where it attaches to the filler panel. Looks like this rot was just bondo'd over. This is my first go around with something this big (well, its a big deal in my head) and I'm kind of afraid of it. Just another opportunity to learn I guess.
    Thanks again

8. Stroked

Stroked New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    I ordered a full package tray and the filler panel (Camaro Central calls it a Upper Package Tray or Package Tray Extension.....I dont know what to call it lol) from Jegs. The panels are made by AMD and shipping was free!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  9. Stroked

Stroked New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    I think I will unfortunately end up going this route. My left quarter looks like someone stick welded a piece of 1/4" steel from underneath and then slapped an inch of body filler over it. I already replaced the upper cowl. Someone had patched the entire upper cowl with fiber glass half way up the driver side A-pillar. Luckily the rot never made it into the actual structure. I had zero plans of going this deep with the car, mainly because I had no idea all of this was hiding.
    I'm going to get the DA out and go to bare metal and see what exactly is going on with the left quarter. I know I am going to replace most of the package tray and I think my brackets are ok. Like I said, we'll see as I start cutting out the cancer. Luckily my window channel is relatively fine.

Thanks for all your videos by the way, they have been a great reference.

10. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Stroked, thanks for the compliments on the vids. I'm learning as I go also. I wasn't planning on going this deep into my car either, but I keep finding stuff. The bad thing about my car is there has been alot of stuff covered up either with filler or brazed metal patches over rusted panels. I believe alot of my car could have been saved, but someone was just interested in flipping it. I look forward to seeing your progress. Lots of great knowledge on this site to help us along the way.

#3 70 Camaro SS likes this.