Replacing the Weatherstripping on my '81 Z28

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by nmaida12, May 5, 2016.

1. nmaida12

nmaida12 New Member

Apr 26, 2016
    New Hartford, NY
    Hey guys, I plan on replacing all the weatherstripping on my 1981 Camaro Z28. My dad bought it in 1983 and has been in my family the whole time. I bought the car from him and want to bring it back to its former glory (which it almost already is by not doing much of anything).

Is there any tips, do's and not do's recommendations? I bought 3M weatherstrip glue and the kit already. Just want to hear what you guys experienced.

Thanks for taking a look and helping!

2. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    I replaced all the weatherstripping on my 71. I used the black 3M glue. There are several posts in the search function showing the proper way that the trunk strip goes because it's easy to put on wrong. On my doors and window/roof pillars I used very little glue since the roof rail seals fit in tracks. I did use a mixture of dish soap and water as a lubricant and used a plastic strip that looks like a putty knife to tuck the seals into the tracks. My door seals have push pins that go into the door and I used the adhesive on the ends along with screws. Like I mentioned there are lots of guys before us that have posted tips. Good luck.

3. nmaida12

nmaida12 New Member

Apr 26, 2016
    New Hartford, NY
    Thanks for the tips, I'll search the forum as well. You used dish soap and water as a lubricant for what exactly? What did you do for the removal process? Any recommendations on that?

Thanks again!