Replacing fuel tank pick-up tube filter

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by chev482, Jan 11, 2012.

1. chev482

chev482 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    ontario oregon
    I need to replace the fuel tank pick-up tube filter 1n my 1970 SS Camaro but have not done it before.

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Pretty basic, first I would soak the two studs down at the rear end of the tank straps with some PB blaster for a day or so. Gotta get as much fuel out of the tank as possible (gas is 6 pounds per gallon, get it down to 1 or 2 gallons). Remove as many of the hoses connected to the front end of the tank (my 72 has four total), you may want to snap a pic or make a diagram just to make sure they all go back where they came from. You can just cut them and worry about getting the clamps and pieces off once you have the tank on the ground, I would replace all the hoses with new stuff upon install. Remove cap on filler neck. There will be one ground wire connected to the sheetmetal of the underside of the trunk back close to where the pass side strap stud sticks out of the body. In the trunk disconnect the brown wire that comes through the grommet right under the latch assy. Push the grommet through to the underside with the wire. Undo the nuts holding the straps up, till you have one or two threads left holding nuts on. Now you need a way to hold tank up (floor jack or buddy (TANK IS DRAINED!!!) Undo the nuts the rest of the way, and you will have to bend the straps forward a bit and tank has to come forward to get filler neck tube out of body. As far as replacing filter sock, just a retaining ring holds float/sender assy in tank, tap it around counterclockwise I believe and it will pop loose. Replace sock (two differnet size pick up tubes I believe 5/16" and 3/8 inch, get right size sock, and replace gasket. Put assy back in with new gasket, get retaining ring started and tap it around with hammer and punch to tighten it down. Now is a good time to get the crud out of your tank if it has any. I would probably replace the other hoses going to the vapor seperator while I had the tank down, and clean, paint tank while I was at it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. Adams

Adams Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How do you know you need to replace the filter?

My recommendation is that if you are going to the trouble you might as well change the whole sending unit.

Simple fix if your tank is close to empty. Take off all the hoses from the lines at the tank. Take off the two bolts holding the tanks straps. Drop the tank carefully and remove the wires from the sending unit. Knock the ring of the sending unit with a hammer and screw driver (cover with a rag so you don't spark ;). Remove the sending unit and change the filter (or drop in a new sending unit). Clean up all the wires and your ground for the gauge will be better and the needle won't bounce so much.

4. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Good description by Grz...and would just like to add:

After removing the gas cap, cover the hole with a ziplock bag held in place by rubber bands around the neck or at least stuff a rag in the hole to prevent additional dirt and grime from falling in.

If at all possible, put the car on a lift. If a lift isn't available, jack it up as high as you can safely. The straps are still attached at the front and with the car close to the ground, it's difficult to get them far enough forward and out of teh way without bending the heck out of them. As the tank is lowered, it needs to move forward quite a bit for the filler neck to clear the rear of the body.

Good luck

5. camaro73lt

camaro73lt Veteran Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Germantown, Maryland
    Adams is right. I would add replacing the "anti-squeak" strips on the top of the tank, as they likely have detoriated or rotted away / gone flat. Easy and cheap to do. You can buy a replacement kit or use a bicycle inner tube cut in strips w/glue, etc...

Good advice to replace the sending unit and check wiring connections while the tank is off. The sender often goes bad from corrosion of the sending until coil / parts in the tank. Might want to replace O-Ring gasket on top of tank too. I did mine and replaced all short rubber lines to the tank / emissions.

Good luck. Let us know if you need any help.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I purchased a filter sock from GM but they didn't have one for a 70 Camaro so they ordered one for a Chevelle. All I needed to do was ream the hole a little larger to make it fit. I left the orig sending unit since I had no trouble with it.

7. big matt

big matt Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just pulled the tank from my 71 and I will offer this advice, be careful with the filler neck and overfill tube attached to the neck. They are just soldered on and even though it is a convenient handle, resist the temptation to use it that way, it will crack the joint. Also be on the lookout for a build sheet on top of the tank, that's where I found mine.

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Maybe a mod or admin can combine the two threads into one. I do that all the time on the forums where I moderate.

For the mod or admin, here is the other thread.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231880

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Thanks for link, John! :D
    (It makes the job simple for us.)

10. chev482

chev482 New Member

Nov 16, 2011
    ontario oregon