Replacing fuel tank and lines

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by JumpStart, Oct 20, 2017.

1. JumpStart

JumpStart Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    All great info, thanks.

Guess I'll go 2 line and canister then. I'll use this diagram:

www.nastyz28.com/tech/e-fuelsys.jpg

The 350 is bored (pretty sure he said .30 over, I don't know the crank) has shorty headers, and the performer intake manifold.

Perhaps I should go holley to avoid the low psi issue? It has a really old holley 600 on it now.

I'm hoping to reuse the old clips to attach the line, I don't suppose the new lines will come with any?

2. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    You can't go wrong with a Holley. Just rebuild the 600 you have. It doesn't matter if it's old. I run a 1970 Holley 3310 on my 69. Holleys aren't hard to rebuild yourself, but if you need help a lot of guys know a lot about them.

JumpStart likes this.
  3. JumpStart

JumpStart Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    [​IMG]

List number is 9219, googled it and I see an R9219 rebuild kit. Is that the one I need?

4. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Member

Oct 4, 2016
    this year I replaced the fuel tank, sender and gas cap on my 1970 Camaro. One item to share is that twice I ordered and returned tanks ordered from Summit Racing. The Tanks Inc and AMD Tanks both had issues. The filler necks were very misaligned with the opening behind the license plate (you can bend them back if you want) and none of the gas caps I ordered fit the opening in the filler neck. I tried every gas cap recommended by Suimmit, including my old gas cap and not a single one fit on these tanks. The depth of the tapered lip on the inside of the tank was deeper than the lip on the gas caps. Summit was excellent in accepting my returns...I put my observations on the Summit reviews section. I found success with the Spectra tank purchased from NPD. This is a beautiful tank. Note that all tanks came with the locking ring and rubber gasket AND all the sending units came with these parts too..so keep that in mind when ordering parts.

JumpStart likes this.
  5. JumpStart

JumpStart Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Thanks, that's really helpful! The gas cap was something I was wondering about... I think I'll go spectra then. Now if I could just figure out which rebuild kit I need for this carb, I can get started.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

That is why you buy the tank locally. with coupons at advance or auto zone you should be fine $$$$wise. too many folks get wrapped up buying parts from the big parts houses and forget that the local auto store has parts. I literally just saw a 25% Advance auto coupon code in the stupid ads browsing this site. Buy one on line, pick it up local, inspect it when you pick it up if there's a problem take it back to the store. Again it's a fuel tank it is not complicated.

JumpStart likes this.
  7. JumpStart

JumpStart Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Ok, that's good advice, I'll go that route for the tank. No one seems to specify if any of the tanks come with caps, so I assume not. I'll put one on the same order so I can test fit it in the store.

I will go with either in line or classic tube for the lines. I'm seeing 3/8, 5/16, and 1/4 sizes, though. All the components of the system should be 3/8, correct?:

(2) 3/8 lines from the sending unit to pump
    (1) 3/8 line from pump to carb
    (1) 3/8 line from tank's vapor cap to canister
    (1) 3/8 line from canister to carb

Is that correct?

I guess I'll have to make my own support for the canister, as I don't see them for sale.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

IIRC there are 2 feed lines, both 3/8" and 2 return lines (if equipped), probably 5/16". The break is at the rear of the subframe where yo will find short pieces of rubber hose connecting the front & rear. This allows for subframe movement.

I think it is rubber hose from sender lines to the feed & return lines.

I dont remember the canister line. probably 5/16 or 1/4. check if you really need to replace it.

any other lines will be very carb/emissions dependent. you are running a holley so I am not sure i'd buy any other hard lines. rubber hose feed to the pump, pump to a filter, filter to carb feed line. also rubber from pump to return line.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    JumpStart likes this.
  9. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I purchased the vented gas cap from NPD part number C-3028-5 for $25.90. Exact replica and quality as the original. I am not sure if you will need a vented and non-vented cap. All the best. BTW: The fuel tank from NPD is 18 gal with part number C-3001-4A.

JumpStart likes this.
  10. JumpStart

JumpStart Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Well shoot, in-store pickup for gas tanks are unavailable for both advance auto and autozone. :(