Replacing fuel tank and lines

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by JumpStart, Oct 20, 2017.

1. JumpStart

JumpStart Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Hi everyone, this will be my first time doing this so I thought I'd see if I can get some advice before I buy anything. I have a 77 z28 with a swapped 350 v8 that was done sometime in the 90's by the previous owner. He's disconnected the two hard lines and bypassed them with a single flexible line. The old hard lines are still attached.

I'd like to start fresh, so I plan to get a new tank, straps, sending unit, and new line up to the fuel pump. Probably a new fuel pump also.

Looking at my options, I was thinking of going with the Ni-terne steel tank.

I'm guessing a 3/8 single line sending unit is the one I need?

Straps and installation seem pretty straight forward but anything I might need to know?

When it comes to plumbing the line, I'm a little lost. Should I remove the old hard lines and the bypassed line and run a new single 3/8 hard line along the frame? The classic industries 3/8 line for 77-79 is two piece, so I just use the feed line then?

Is there any reason I should go back to a 2 line system and canister?

Thanks

2. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I replaced mine a long time ago with new tank. I routed new aluminum coil line front to back away from Heat. It worked fine until I installed my new 406 . The 406 falls on its face when I hit 4th gear at the track . I suspect the problem is inadequate supply of fuel. With the factory fuel pump set up there's no room for growth like with a tank that incorporates an electric pump inside it. I highly recommend replacing the fuel tank with one that has an electric pump inside it and run new line front to back. You'll always have adequate fuel supply and the fuel pump won't be noisy like an electric one mounted externally. A mechanical fuel pump just doesn't supply as good mainly because it's in suction instead of providing pressure from the source like one at the back. Fuel has a lower boiling point in a state of suction as opposed to pressure so there is a higher likelihood of vapor lock issues with a mechanical fuel pump on the engine. A pump located in the gas tank also stays cooler ultimately producing more horsepower at the engine . The price of a new tank with the pump inside it are relatively cheap anymore so like I say go that route and never do it again. If you ever upgrade to fuel injection you just have to change the pressure regulator adjustment.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. JumpStart

JumpStart Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    That makes sense and sounds great, but then the price of the tank would go from $200 to $720 and it says for 1970-73, would that matter? What happens with the mechanical fuel pump in this scenario? Is it just removed and a block off plate put in the block?

Thanks for the reply, I'd be interested in going this route if it's possible for my 77. Do you possibly know somewhere I could get a tank for less than the $720 70-73 classic industries one? If I have to go with that one, will the 77 strap kit work and mount like stock?

Final question, how hard is wiring up the electrics for the pump?

Thanks again!

4. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    If it's a basic 350 or even pretty well built, the mechanical fuel pump and stock lines will be just fine if they're in good condition. I installed a Spectra tank in my 69 SS396 last year. Excellent tank. I'm sure they've got a version for a 77. Mine was around $120 brand new shipped. Check Rock Auto and Amazon once you find a part number.
    I think this one might be the one you're looking for.
    http://www.autometaldirect.com/spec...-neck-75-77-camaro-74-78-firebird-p-4013.html

5. JumpStart

JumpStart Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    That one is cheap! But out of stock. I'm ok with paying $200 for the ni-terne tank.

I believe the 350 has been bored and has a larger cam. It has an edelbrock performer intake. I plan to buy a nice new edelbrock carb for it, so that's why I'd like to play it safe and get the new tank, plus I would like to correct the lines. The car has been sitting a long time, covered, but we only had it running for one day about 5 years ago. Drove it around the block a couple times then it died. Had a slight gas leak from the flexible line, so we put it back in storage and now I'm finally ready to dig into it properly.

Not sure how the previous owner converted the sending unit to single line, as I haven't dropped the tank yet, I'm guessing he just plugged the return on the original sending unit...

So, just want to play it safe and have all new up to the carb, maybe save the old fuel pump, but really they're not that expensive. I'd rather not blow all my funds on a fancy tank if I don't need it.

Got about a $1000 to spend, my goal was to completely redo the fuel system, take the radiator in and have it tested, get all new belts and hoses, new thermostat, spark plugs maybe, and change the oil/filter. Just got a battery, still need to pick up an alternator also...

6. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    It's only out of stock at AMD. Summit has them. They'll ship Monday and you'd have it Wednesday. You have to look around.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/amd-890-3574-n

RockAuto $100.79. Google RockAuto discount coupon and you'll get another 5% off.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...l+350cid+v8,1035122,fuel+&+air,fuel+tank,6268

JumpStart likes this.
  7. JumpStart

JumpStart Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Ok thank you! I forgot about rockauto.

8. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    This is a link to example of kit with a lot of what you could install for a system that wont need redone if you upgrage in the fiture on engine. This is just one example. There are several options when you shop around. Keep in mind the value of your labor when you make installations like this . If you go with the tank and fuel line that saves you a few hundred bucks and then have to do it again later what have you saved really ? www.speedwaymotors.com/Tanks-Inc-TM42A-T-EFI-Fuel-Tank-Kit-1970-73-Camaro-Firebird,104978.html?sku=91076241&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwprbPBRCHARIsAF_7gDaikBx2Yv1cIPE3eSe9u1jI15J_latdjLGoWvhLKcZ9gf2CyX2vBI4aAvLFEALw_wc

JumpStart likes this.
  9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

So are you just going to run a carb'd basic 350? If so there seems to be a lot of unnecessary discussion here.

If that is the case, stop over thinking it. I bet if you find an advance auto coupon, buy it from them online and pickup in a local store, you'll do pretty good. And if there is any shipping damage its much easier to deal with and with shipping probably beat RA.

Get proper fuel lines from classic tube or in line tube, I'd personally go back to a return line setup, it prevents vapor lock. when I stepped up to more hp and a pump with no return I got VL issues for the first time.

Then just get the right sender and replacement pump and be done with it.

JumpStart and HawkX66 like this.
  10. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Edelbrock carb: Before buying a fuel pump, check the psi requirement of the Edelbrock carb. I bought the 1406 (600cfm) and it needs either their fuel pump (low psi) or pressure gauge/controls to reduce the higher psi of the stock pump

Metal fuel line: You will need to do some bending to get it to fit. Had to do this with the In-Line Tube line

JumpStart likes this.