Replacement VIN tag, Problem solved. (Florida Specific)

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by CamaroGP, Mar 24, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Well now you have that, you can fill in the vin hole for a clean dash

2. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    I've been thinking about that, maybe putting in a custom tag with some quip on it. Not sure yet?

3. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson Veteran Member

That would really devalue a limited production , or rare optioned car to the collectors . I would take a week off work and tear the house and garage apart piece by piece to find a missing tag ... for a Camaro that is " just " a regular personalized Camaro like the greater percentage of us have than it is not really an issue . In some instances you might not have a choice if the law was starting to question the car . with my luck if I was forced into having to stain the cars pedigree by re-VINing the car with a state or provincial agency number , I would probably find the missing tag a week afterwards

4. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    My cowl tag is missing. I've only owned the car for 5 weeks and I've called the previous owner asking for it. Not sure at this point if he has it and he's probably not sure either as he is moving. I didn't notice it missing until I owned the car, I concentrated on the VIN tag only.

I see services that will sell you a replacement cowl tag, it's about $230 and it is marked as a replacement. I had no idea that law inforcement would take exception to a missing cowl tag unless I'm misunderstanding this situation. My VIN tag is existing, just the cowl tag is missing.

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    the cowl tag only tell you things about the car, so unless you paid lots of money for a one of a kind car, no big deal, and those places are rip off's you can find places that will make replacement tags for less

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Cowl tags should not matter to dmv. there is no vin on it.

7. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I guess my concern is if I ever sell the car, without the tag the buyer may doubt whether it's a real Z28. It does however have the Norwalk VIN number and there's nothing on the trim tag to prove its a real RS. The trim tag would prove that the car was originally this ugly #51 light yellow color....lol.

8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Hope you didn't pay extra for the car, as it would be pretty easy to say it is a RS/Z-28 , and with out the trim tag , to check ,

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Since its a Norwood car, about a zero chance of finding a build sheet. Do you have the Protecto-Plate? It has the engine code which would show it to be a Z. Any other owner history? You can get an NCRS shipping report for 50 bucks that will show where-when it was originally delivered. That may help in tracking down prior owners. Other than that, its pretty much a nice Camaro with the Rally Sport front end in terms of value.
    For the color, look in hidden areas that may still have some of the original color. It depends on how far they tore it down during a re-spray.

10. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    There wa no protector plates made in 1973 from what I read. The car was rotisserie restored the original color from what I was told. The engine is not original, it was a 350 car that’s now a big block car. Price-wise, I bought it right so over paying to me isn’t a concern. Even if it were a base car, it was still worth what I paid with all of the work that was done to it.