replacement seats

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by bonedoc, Sep 1, 2017.

1. bonedoc

bonedoc Member

May 8, 2017
    Arkansas
    need to replace the factory seats in my 1971 Camaro Z28 RS, since they DO NOT recline and the seat back is fixed it is killing my back. Need to be able to recline the back more than the factory ones. I had Scat Rally seas in my 1968, but they seemed to sit a little too high. Does anyone have first hand experience with the Pro Rally or Pro-90 seats for a 2nd gen? Do any of the later years fit and have reclining back and fit without mods or not? Any help, advise would be greatly appreciated. I already shimmed the front mounts to create a little rack backwards, it has helped some, but not enough. Seems the factory seats sit pretty flat to the floor.

2. Petescamaro

Petescamaro Member

Aug 16, 2014
    ACT
    I suffered the same problem with my back and also my height with the factory seats, so I went for a 300ZX seat which though a little narrow for my fame wasn't to bad. There is a post about this somewhere within the forum. This maybe another way for you to go

P

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I am in the process of installing seats from a 2013 Camaro in my 70. They are 6 way power but require making brackets to fit. I will post photos and procedure when I'm done. There are a couple of post about the Nissan 300zx seats that other members have installed. Do a search here and will find info on them.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. bonedoc

bonedoc Member

May 8, 2017
    Arkansas
    UPDATE bought SCAT Pro-90 seats, they fit great with the adapter and look real at home.

5. BC'73RS

BC'73RS New Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Arlington, TX
    I'm thinking about the same seats for my 73. How much higher do they sit than the factory buckets? I cant afford to give up much headroom...

6. bonedoc

bonedoc Member

May 8, 2017
    Arkansas
    They sit at least an inch taller. I believe there are a few reasons, first, the cushion is new and firmer. Second the adapter bracket. I think if you make custom bracket and not use the adapter (which has to be purchased separately) you can get lower. I sit about an inch taller, but it works, with the seat able to recline, my back doesn't hurt. More the recline the less tall you seem. I have a full shop, I got the adapter bracket knowing I might just return it and make custom ones, but it worked out. Plus they are pretty proud of the adapters, there about 90 bucks EACH.
    Also just finished installing new self-locking shoulder/lap seat belts. Hated dealing with 2 buckles. Have to modify the bracket there (make it lower) otherwise it hit the door panel. It works very well

7. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Bernardston, MA
    Any pics installed ?

8. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have found that there is an area to be mindful of when replacing stock seating in a 2nd gen Camaro. Both factors affect head room. The first is the angle of the floor pan, high in front, low in rear. The second is the area that houses the rear most subframe bolt forms a pronounced hump in the floor pan, directly beneath the seat. I ended up channeling the floor, creating a box recess directly beneath the seat. I did this to accommodate C6 Corvette seats. I will be using Hotchkis subframe connectors, which will stiffen the chassis in the area I channeled. This was a little tricky due to the e-brake cable routing, but I was able to get the seat low enough to provide sufficient head room for me. The Vette seats have pumps and motors beneath that make the seat cushion roughly twice the thickness as a stock Camaro seat.

9. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
    I used ones out of a 2000 Camaro, had to make brackets to fit. 190.JPG 180.JPG

10. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I installed seats from a 5th gen Camaro. Had to make braket to install them. I think that any seat replacement requires some fab work because of the floor pan hump or seat track dimensions. Seem head room is always an issue.