Replacement Radio

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by BigBlock73, Dec 5, 2017.

1. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    I'm looking into replacing the radio in my 73.
    I don't want to cut the dash.
    Want one with bluetooth

Found this one on Crutchfield
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068HRMOSAB/RetroSound-Hermosa-Black-buttons.html?tp=49934

The radio in the car now gets very poor radio reception,assuming it's because of the antenna being in the windshield.Are there any boosters or under dash antenna's that are worth installing?

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Windshield antenna is usually pretty decent for FM, I'd suspect a weak radio. That unit in Crutchfield sure looks interesting, and they know how to make their stuff fit and work, but that sure is a lot of money, and probaby several bucks more for the fit up items. Might be the only thing available though.

3. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Until you get a replacement radio you might be able to improve the poor reception problem with your current radio by checking to see if the windshield antenna plug in connection at the bottom center of your windshield is clean and tight.

4. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    classiccarstereos.com/custom-autosound.html. I have these in 2 cars and really like them.

5. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    Tom
    That radio seems to come with anything that might be needed to mount it.
    I'm thinking of buying another lower dash that is already cut to mount a different radio, but I want to keep the retro look of the stock interior.

I had the windshield replaced 2 years ago and made sure the connection was good and clean.
    Still might be a bad cable,will check during replacement.

Palm
    The Bluetooth ready one's are pricey

Thanks for all the idea's

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    My aftermarket radio works great with the windshield antenna.

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
  8. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2001
    Waltham, MA. USA
    I installed that one in my 78 Cutlass which has a windshield antenna. There are no problems with reception. No problems with the radio and the features are worth the price.

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I went with a original radio rebuild from Precision Radio Repair:
    https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2009/11/We-ve-Got-the-Jack/2292821.htmlwhere
    where Bob installed a 3.5mm jack. I will then use a bluetooth adapter like this:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...qDP_zsNkFbe5cjbGgbhoCqw4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    to pair with my phone. It's not going to be a high end sound, even though Bob improves the stock radio with better components. The stock radio is mono anyway. I would rather listen to the engine anyway. If your car is a driver and you don't care if it looks stock (I do)you may want to just upgrade. It would be cheaper.
    There is a trimmer adjustment for the antenna. You tune the radio to a certain frequency and then there an adjustment screw under one of the knobs. Adjust it till it has the best reception. How to do is here:
    http://www.chevelles.com/radiotech/reception.html

10. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    I helped my bud put a new replacement in his 70, it had jacks on the back, not sure on Bluetooth,
    At the big swap in Jan here a guy had a nos one still shrunk wrapped on a cardboard, I didn't buy it, something looked wring, I would think they would come in a box. It was a 78 am/fm 8 track.