Replacement Clock Issues

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by david.rosol, Oct 14, 2016.

1. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I recently purchased a replacement OER 70-78 Camaro clock for my 77 Camaro but I'm having problems getting it to fit in my instrument cluster housing. I noticed the body of the new clock has a bulge coming off of it that hits against the bottom of the cluster housing not allowing it to position as it should. My original clock does not have this bulge. I was curious if anyone else ran into this issue and what they did to get it to fit. Do all the OER replacement clocks have this bulge? I'm thinking maybe I received the wrong clock that possibly may have been packaged wrong. Here are pictures:

First picture shows two original clocks on left / and middle... and the replacement clock on the far right - you can see the bulge on the clock body in the 5 - 6 o'clock position:
    [​IMG]

This picture is a closeup that shows the bulge on the new clock
    [​IMG]

This picture shows the original clock in the cluster housing:
    [​IMG]

This picture shows how the new clock doesn't fit at all:
    [​IMG]

This picture shows the bulge of the new clock hitting against the bottom of the housing - causing it not to fit:
    [​IMG]

2. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    I fixed the clock in my 78 with one of those quartz conversion kits. It wasn't nearly as expensive as a replacement clock. Took me about 30 minutes to do the conversion. It's working great too. Might be something for you to consider if you can't get that OER part to fit.

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I agree with NeoNeuro send it back something is not right.

4. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Where do you get the conversions from?

5. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
  6. Ote

Ote Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I just found this and realize it's a very old post, but I just bought an OER clock for my 1971 Z28 (part # 3980116) and have the exact same issue with the protrusion. I finally did a hack install by cutting away the gauge cluster around the protrusion, so the clock sort of fit. Also found that the hour and minute hands would stop moving after several minutes if the stem was not fully pulled out. But second hand always continued to move. Have to be very careful not to touch the stem, or clock will fail to operate correctly. I would not recommend this clock to anyone, especially at $200 cost. Shame on OER for selling this piece of junk as being a perfect fit.

76 camaro car 1 likes this.
  7. dadgonebroke

dadgonebroke Veteran Member

A question to those that have fixed and replaced their clock- how tough is it to remove and replace the clock? I'm 6'4 and 300 lbs. and I don't know if I can even get to a good position to accomplish the feat.

8. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    I believe you pull the whole gauge cluster, and then it would be much easier to replace the clock, with a clock or an oil pressure gauge

9. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    Just finished reinstalling gauge cluster after replacing Clock and Amp gauge.
    This is fairly time consuming.

Anything under the dash, I always start by removing the driver seat.Being your size I think this is a must.
    Lower dash and steering column need to be dropped to get bezel out.
    Releasing the speedometer cable is a little tricky

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    On my 80 w A/C... I only removed the bezel and unbolted the cluster.
    (Quartz conversion... Not this "factory" replacement.)

I was able to position the cluster so I could get a 9/32 socket on the two screws holding the clock in place.
    Swapped out the clock with the cluster still in the dash and reassembled it all without issue.
    Just did this a week ago. The whole process took about an hour. :D

The earlier 2nd gens have a much smaller bezel.
    I think you need to remove the cluster from the dash to do the swap.