Repairing cracked tail lights

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by arick793, Nov 29, 2015.

1. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Just wanted to share that I was able to VERY satisfactorily repair an old tail light lens for my 79! A corner of the clear lens had a crack that went all the way through. I didn't know until I disassembled them for cleaning. Well, I cleaned the lens and the edges of the cracked parts thoroughly, and then I was able to "plastic weld" the broken piece back on with a cheap soldering iron. I didnt add any new plastic, I just held the broken piece in place, then kind of traced along the crack. This melted the two pieces back together. It's very strong too, I can support the whole weight of the lens by holding onto the repaired part. I did the plastic weld on the inside of the lens, the outside just looks like a faint crack.

2. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Not perfect, not by a long shot, but it sure beats paying $150 for a new one! [​IMG]

David Young likes this.
  3. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    Looks great.

My painter filed the cracks in mine with clear. He cleared, wet sanded, and cleared until the lenses were smooth.

4. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Nice,To top it off wet sand the whole lens with some 1500 and soapy water. Fold the paper and do it softly by hand,back and forth motions,not circles when sanding. Don't sand any crevices,just the flat parts,watch out for the numbers stamped in plastic. Then some light duty rubbing compound,then wax them inside and out with a liquid wax,I used the turtle wax called ice,it was clear. They will shine like new, the ice wax made my hazy lens almost clear again,or try that lens restore stuff that prolly work good

5. Purebreed1

Purebreed1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Crystal lake Illinois
    you can also wipe with bug spray with Deet. Works just as good as lens restore. I used off with 24% deet.

6. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    It will also keep the bugs off of your tail lights. Nice!