Repair or replace

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by PalmbchZ28, Mar 17, 2017.

1. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Still going over the new car found a couple minor things but did find this.... so I'm trying to figure out the best option... try to clean it because the radiator is in perfect shape on the outside or replace it ? Thx

Attached Files:

2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    Find a radiator shop.
    They can clean and pressure test it.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Try vinegar. Drain the coolant and fill with a couple gallons of white Vinegar to one of plain water and run it to get hot with heater on. Run for about 30 mins then shut it down and let it cool off. Drain it flush with clean water and refill with water and mix some baking soda in a gallon of water fill and run again then drain. Refill with plain water and run again. I did it with the rad cap off. I did this to My Moms Buick that sat for ten years. It really did a good job. I got tons of rust out and stained my concrete. The pressure washer and bleach cleaned up the rust.

5. CamaroGeorge112

CamaroGeorge112 New Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Stockholm/Phuket
    The easy way to do it is to find a shop to do it for you. Usually not that much. If you want to learn then the tip Budro gives you acctually works :). Good luck if you try to do it by yourself! /George

6. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
  7. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    If the top of the radiator looks that bad,this is what the bottom will most likely look like. IMG_4074.JPG

8. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    I would replace it. If your going for originality and want the oem radiator you can have it re-cored but be prepaired to pay as much or more than new. From my experience its getting harder to find a radiator shop or a shop that will do this kind of work.

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    And use nothing but disstilled water from now on.