Rental Car..........

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Smokey15, Mar 7, 2018.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used to work for Enterprise Rental Car

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I generally suggest not renting at the airport. While rates appear low, there are always tons of extra taxes and concession fees at airport sites. These are a profit center for the Rental Co's just a way from the City/County to extract money from travelers.

My general suggestions for good rental experiences:
    • Always make a reservation, don't just show up at a branch.
    • Always reserve the cheapest car that will serve your function. Rental companies keep very few small/cheap cars in fleet (cheap cars have bad depreciation) so in all likelihood, you'll get a free upgrade when you show up. Even if you have the small car waiting for you, you can always negotiate a bigger/better car at the counter.
    • If you have your own car and have insurance, the coverage transfers the rental car. In 11 years in that business, I've never seen insurance that didn't transfer (this does not apply to large trucks or 12-15 passenger vans).
    • The only insurance the rental company that's worth anything is Damage Waiver (CDW). If you're renting for more than a few days the benefit of CDW is eaten up by its high cost. SLP is only good if you don't have your own insurance. PAI is completely worthless.
    • Always rent on a credit card, NOT a debit card. There are a bunch of reasons for this - just take my word for it.
    • Don't smoke in the car - you will get dinged for a mini detail
    • No matter what the guy at the rental counter says, make them walk around the car with you and mark damages before you take the car.
    • Stay away from car rental apps like Turo. They have no safety requirements for cars and they are often in need of major services.

Smokey15 likes this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I have only rented two times. The last was 2005 when the rack and pinion went out on my 1 week old GMC XUV. The dealer that I worked for and bought from provided a rental. A suburban. I did the walk around and the pass front door had a noticeable ding that the guy over looked. While going over the paper work to check out I pointed it out. The girl behind the desk did not make any note about it. I had to make a stink just to get them to acknowledge it. They were more interested in how much gas was in the tank and stressed that it be returned with the same. Enterprise.

4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Can you use USAA? Their travel service has really cheap car rates.

Also, a bit of my history...I use to rent cars all the time when I traveled in the USAF. I meant a LOT of rentals! I use to beat the heck out of them! When I'd visit friends, I'd let their young children run over the top of the car!

My motto: Never buy a used rental car! I may have rented it!

5. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    That explains the shoe prints on the roof and the dented quarter panels on our former rental Car (Its first owner was Thrifty car rental June 1970 - March 1971).
    You owe me an Xtra Lg pizza....delivered.:happy:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  6. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Do you know
    :crazy:

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Read the rental contract and look for the words "Wanton & Reckless actions" now look for the words "invalidate coverage" I promise they are close together