removing ignition lock

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Chuck71RS, Mar 19, 2017.

1. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Can you see inside the slot to be sure this is the right spot. Maybe it is off to the left or right.

2. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Can not see any details inside the slot with the removed flashing. The slot to the right, used a smaller screw driver (jeweler)and felt some depression but no movement trying to pull out the lock cylinder

The slot with the removed flashing is the right one to depress the retainer. Placed the replacement lock cylinder atop the one in the steering column and the retainer aligns with the flashing removed slot. Odd though for the 1971 service manual shows a tool inserted in the slot to the right of the flashing removed slot

[​IMG]

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Looks like you are correct. I know I fought mine for days. Several hours at a time. I would get frustrated and move on to something else. Finally after a while one day I pushed and wiggled it just right and it pulled right out. I remember I took a beer brake the rest of the day. To bad someone else can't chime in.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Have you tried turning the key to the "Run" position to depress the tab?

5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Refer to post 1. Any other ideas?

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Might want to check and see it there is any obstruction blocking the path to the lock.

This guy ran into it on a 72.

7. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Last time I spent a few hours fighting this I concluded that none of my screwdrivers were going to work. I went in the house and got a steak knife and poked around a little while and finally got it. It is the rectangular slot between the arrows in your earlier post.

I just watched the above video. I'm not the only one that gets violent after an hour of screwing around. I tried to slide hammer mine out with no success. Once I got the steak knife I only poked around for under 10 minutes.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  8. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I cant find keys to my Red 1970 R/S SS Camaro.....

IF I try to follow this thread for removal instructions
    then what type of old school lockshop can provide
    new key or what will they do ?????

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You don't need to remove the ignition cylinder.
    A good locksmith can reproduce a key for the ignition with it in place.

If you feel the need to disassemble something and take it to a locksmith rather than paying for a service call... The door cylinder is easier to remove and I believe they both used the same pin set and key blank in those earlier Camaros.

10. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Twisted, I didnt think of the Door Cylinder being SAME AS Ignition Cylinder.....

When I removed door cylinders on my current 73 project, it was Difficult to
    remove that large clip holding the Door Cylinder in place, especially with window
    in door ........this was MY experience !!!!!!