removing ignition lock

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Chuck71RS, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    in my 1971
    - Key to "RUN"
    - Insert small screw driver into slot (behind the directional turn switch)keeping the screw driver to the right

It is here I need help for my Chiltons states
    - - can take "considerable force" to brake the housing flashing loose. Is a hammer needed?
    - - be careful so as not to damage other parts. Can lock parts be damaged that prevents the lock from being removed? Lock is being replaced so damage is not a concern, unless it prevents removal.

The photo of the replacement lock,
    - - is the part the screw driver pushes on correctly labeled?
    - - Is the housing flashing the structure in the horizontal slot to the right?

[​IMG]

2. jlsug

jlsug Veteran Member

Apr 10, 2012
    iowa
    upload_2017-3-19_20-50-51.jpg

With the turn signal assembly removed, you will see the three large Phillips screws to be removed so the upper steering column collar can be removed from the column. The white single arrow indicates the key cylinder tang that needs to be depressed in order to slide the key cylinder from the column. On some of the 69-72 versions the tab can be covered by flashing and you will need to use a small screwdriver to break the flashing to access the tang. The black arrow indicates the turn signal contacts and can be removed after the key cylinder. It is an easy piece to break so take you time to remove it along with the small black spring that holds it in place.

upload_2017-3-19_20-50-51.jpg

Arrow indicates the same tang as in previous pic, Also the key cylinder should be in the run position.

3. Chuck71RS

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for the post but I can not relate what you wrote and pictures to what I have. Here is a photo of my steering showing access to the slot.

The slot on the right in the below photo for the screw driver, is it contacting the same part as in my first picture? Putting the screw driver in the slot and pushing on it, I feel something being depressed a little bit. Does that mean there is no flashing? Yet the lock cylinder does not pull out

Does the key cylinder pull easily out when the thing in the slot is fully depressed?
    [​IMG]

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I believe the moving "tab" you're seeing is the end of the rack and sector mechanism which pulls the ignition actuation rod (connected to the ignition switch by the firewall).

I'm pretty sure the slot you need to punch is the uniform, rectangular one between your two arrows.

Robert M Mrozek likes this.
  5. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    This is correct.
    This is very thin material and will punch out quite easily.

6. Chuck71RS

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    The flashing has been punched out from the slot between the two arrows

Depressing lock cylinder retainer:
    - - is the retainer the object at the left of the photo with the arrow pointing at?
    - - Is it depressed through the slot where I punched out the flashing or the slot to the right?
    - - Does lock cylinder slide out easily?
    [​IMG]-

7. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    It has been 5 or 6 years but as I remember it was difficult to hit the retainer with a screwdriver. But the switch pulled out easily once I got the retainer pushed in. Since the retainer is so narrow as will be the tip of the screwdriver that fits in that slot try to use something square that will fit in the slot to push the retainer even if you have to sacrifice a small screwdriver to do so. Maybe totally remove the blade from the screwdriver so you have a flat end.

8. Chuck71RS

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks for staying with me on this.

Which slot is the retainer depressed through?

9. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I think the one on the left. As I said use something with as wide an end as you can. You may have to wiggle the key forward and backward slightly as you pull. No problem staying with you I remember fighting this myself.

10. Chuck71RS

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Still not out. Found a screw driver with a shaft narrow enough to through the slot (removed flash) and it touched down on something. Removed it and ground off the thin flat edge. Putting the screw driver back in, it touched down. Pushing on the handle did not feel any depression of the retainer ring. Moved it up and down the slot but still the same

Am I out of options?