Removing fine scratches in my DD - what products to use?

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by 76_TypeLT, Oct 3, 2010.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    My 10 year old Civic has lots of fine scratches in the clear coat and I would like to use some type of rubbing and polishing compound to clean things up a bit.

What products work well for this? Should I stick with something like Meguiars? The finish needs more than just some quick fix product, it needs some type of polishing compound to spruce it up. I have a DA that I can use as well.

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

You need to go to www.detailedimage.com or other detailing sites and START READING.

You have to be willing and able to invest in either the Porter Cable orbital or FLEX brand orbital buffer. There are MANY brands and products you can use.
    There are many buffing pads you can buy.

Depends what level or quality of correction you want to acheive, versus your time and expense of buying neccessary chemicals and equip.

Alternative is too find someone else you can trust and afford.

3. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX

+1

There are a few good videos on paint correction here.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

Where you start depends on how your paint looks now....

Good luck...

4. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    nothing wrong with the paint, it's the clear coat that needs polishing. It just has swirl marks and light scratches in it from being a 10 year old car. This is a 2000 Civic w/ 115k miles on it, so I am not looking to bring her back to showroom quality, just make it look more presentable :)

I'll check out those sites. Thanks for the info.

5. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2001
    Waltham, MA. USA
    I also suggest CarCareOnline.com I use the chemical cleaner P21S to remove any clear coat scratches. Give him a call and he can help.

6. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    This has proven to be a good site so far, good suggestion (all the sites have been good actually). I am going to call them up tmro and see what they think, but the Meguiar's M105 and M205 compounds with the proper pads look like they'd get the job done on my DD. I am not looking for a mirror shine or anything here. If anything this will be good practice when I eventually have to detail the Camaro.

7. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    BTW, are most polishing pads hook & loop? I have a Bosch random orbital already and would like to use it if possible.

8. Huyzel

Huyzel Member

Kind of a late post.. I would recommend picking up a Harbor Freight rotary buffer ($30-40 bucks) and buy some good buffing pads such as 3m's. Then head up to your auto parts store and see if they have 3m rubbing compund and polish.. take it slow, keep the buffer moving, and RPM's should be set low.