removing factory ac unit for vintage air. is V/A as good as factory system?? ANY ONE done it????

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by QUAKE_WARS, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Has any one removed the factory system to install vintage air?? is vintage air any good? pros, cons.

I need more room under hood, but want to keep an A/C system!!

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    excellent system, better than the factory system.

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Frees up room under the hood also

4. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    Can you provide the part # and maybe do a write up on the install? I want to do the same thing for my 79Camaro.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Watch Klowny! He will walk you through the entire process. I watched it a couple times while I was installing mine.

You can also go to :
    https://www.vintageair.com/installationinstructions/
    and download the instructions.
    Their customer service is very good and the system works excellent.
    Doing a write up would take up pages and hours. lol.

6. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    My Camaro never had A/C from the factory but I did install Vintage air in my 71 with black interior and it keeps my car real cool here in the hot Texas summer days. The only time it lacks cooling is when I'm sitting in traffic and the engine driven fan doesn't pull enough air thru the condenser to cool down the R134. If I had an electric driven fan it would cure that problem but I am trying to keep the car as close to original as possible.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    "as is" I would argue there is much to be desired. But some modifications it can be a good system.

1. No fresh air with VA
    2. The Evap box mounting is clunky and not very secure.
    3. The hose routing through the old blower hole is difficult to route and connect to the box.
    4. Not very vehicle specific except the metal lines. It's very universal design .
    5. Metal brackets all scratched up with cheap black coating (had to be repainted)

8. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    badazz81z28 is on point and the concerns he listed were true with my install as well. I was surprised that it didn't have a fresh air set up but wasn't a deal breaker for me. The lines were a huge undertaking to get through the passenger kick panel and an extremely tight fit so I dread anything going wrong and having to change one of them. The brackets were cheaply painted so I powder coated all mine. It is a nice design in the sense that it frees up tons of room under the hood and the evaporator isn't soaking up heat from the engine compartment like it does in stock form. Having said all that I would still upgrade over stock AC in a heartbeat. I was able to get my kit off ebay from someone that bought a Camaro and it came with the a new complete VA kit but he fixed the factory AC. I spent less than $600 which was well worth it but I don't think I would shell out full price for the complete kit at $1485. I think if I had to do it again I'd order there evaporator kit ($835) and put the rest of the system together myself especially if an engine/accessory swap is happening or your changing anything from the factory location.

9. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow, I didn't know you could just order the evap kit. I've just done all of my front drive system with March which I love and bought an aftermarket compressor in anticipation of a VA install. If I can just get the evap kit that sounds like the way to go.

serp drive 4.jpg

10. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    I installed a bulkhead setup to get the lines through the firewall. I left it loose while connecting the lines and then bolted it to the firewall when everything was nice and tight. It required a few more connectors and crimping, but I think I used a lot less profanity. :)