registering a "MV-907A" salvage certificate car

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Cerberus, Oct 14, 2006.

  1. Cerberus

    Cerberus Member

    Sep 3, 2006
    monroe N.Y.
    hey guys..if i am buying a car (lexus is 300) that has a title of NY-MV-907A (salvage certificate) do i havee to have the guy i'm buying it from do the work and have it inspected, or can he sign over the certificate to me and i do the work and have it inspected? i would raher do the work myself, because its a hell of a deal..but i dont want to talk to the guy too much and have him start to increase the price on me. can anyone shead light on this for me?
  2. PaRoadDawg

    PaRoadDawg Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Apr 10, 2002
    I'm not sure of NY, but in PA he can sign the title over to you. Make sure you get a bill of sale and keep all your receipts that are needed to fix it.
  3. ls777z

    ls777z Veteran Member

    Feb 19, 2000
    yes he can. and just like paroaddawg said keep a receipt for EVERY part you purchase for it. in order to get the vehicle registered it has to be inspected by dmv (not your local garage) and you have to show where each part came from. i'm assuming your buying the car to fix/use. if you're hoping to make $$$ fixing and selling a lot of people are very hesitant about of buying a car with a salvage title. you also want to make sure you can get the parts you need for a reasonable amount or you'll spend the money you saved on labor for the parts. good luck.
  4. Knuckle Dragger

    Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Out here in California we need to have the VIN recorded for all the donor cars too. So you may want to check on that. :)
  5. PaRoadDawg

    PaRoadDawg Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Apr 10, 2002
    Yeah, as Dave stated, any major parts (i.e. frame, front clip, motor), you need to have the VIN from the donor car. I forgot about that.
  6. BobB

    BobB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    May 10, 2000
    You have to have a rebuilders license here to get a rebuilt title from a salvage car.

    Salvage Vehicle Inspections
    The Illinois Vehicle Code mandates that the Secretary of
    State Police physically inspect all salvage vehicles that
    are eight model years old or newer before a rebuilt title
    may be issued.
    The purpose of the inspection is to identify essential parts
    and review all required documentation. These inspections
    are not intended to certify the safety or road-worthiness
    of the vehicle or the quality of the workmanship in the
    rebuilding process.
    Before being brought to the salvage inspection station, all
    vehicles must first be taken to an Illinois Department of
    Transportation (IDOT) Safety Testing Lane and pass a
    safety test.
    To make an appointment for a vehicle inspection, contact
    a Secretary of State Police Inspection Station listed on the
    back of this brochure.
    A licensed rebuilder may drive the vehicle, or have it
    driven, to the inspection station, providing the vehicle is
    properly registered with valid dealer plates, a free 72-Hour
    Permit or a 7-Day Permit obtained from a Secretary of
    State facility for a $10 fee.

    The following documents must be presented before the
    inspection begins:
    • Properly assigned salvage certificate in the name of
    the rebuilder exactly as it appears on the rebuilder’s
    license. Upon arrival at the station, the
    odometer reading must be noted on the application.
    • Properly completed application, in the name of the
    rebuilder, for a rebuilt title.
    • Properly completed salvage affirmation identifying all
    essential parts that have been replaced on the rebuilt
    • The original uniform invoices (bills) for all essential
    parts changed; junking titles/applications in the name
    of the rebuilder for vehicles from which essential parts
    have been used to rebuild the salvage vehicle.
    • IDOT vehicle inspection report and properly affixed
    non-expiring sticker.
    • Valid driver’s license of the driver of the salvage

    During the inspection, some parts may be removed to
    allow examination of the vehicle identification numbers.
    These numbers may include, but are not limited to:
    • public VIN
    • transmission number
    • body number
    • federal stickers
    • engine number
    • frame number
    • mylar stickers
    Any vehicle or part bearing identification numbers
    determined to have been removed, altered, falsified,
    destroyed, mutilated, tampered with or stolen may be
    impounded immediately and held for evidence in
    accordance with Section 3-308 of the Illinois Vehicle Code.

Share This Page