Refinishing hood hinges.

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Blu-By-U 79Z, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    So I cleaned up a set of hood hinges to bare metal. Then did some etch primer and satin black rustoleum paint hoping that it would not build so much that it wore the paint off. Well it looks like I was wrong SO.... im wondering how in the world can you refinish the hinges and avoid the paint getting rubbed off? Thanks

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I don't know about '79's, but the early '70's didn't paint them they were plated with zinc phosphate which didn't rub off.
    Other than that, maybe powder coat is tough enough.

Blu-By-U 79Z likes this.
  3. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    I wish i knew if they still made something that would treat them like factory did.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

i don't think you can avoid paint wear on them

5. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    If you paint them, They WILL ALWAYS wear a bit where the movement rubs. There is no avoiding it. I have found however, that the thinner you can make the paint coat, the lighter the wear! I never prime hinges. Sand blast and paint only. Paint as thin as possible to get full coverage especially at places of movement. Also, use lithium on the surfaces that rub together! These points are EASY to find on newly painted hinges. Close the hood for the first time and re-open it. Might want to do this 3 or 4 times. Grease the places that show rubbing marks. :)

6. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Zinc Phosphate with a Rust Preventative Oil Coating
    like FLUID FILM or BOESHIELD T-9

Attached Files:

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Palmetto Enterprises in Georgia sells the zinc phosphate chemicals. You need to glass bead them and then submerge in a 200F heated tank for 10-15 minutes. Remove and quickly spray with WD40 or Fluid Film. I have a stainless steel sink on a propane grill that works good for this.

8. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    You can still get your hinges re-plated like they were originally from the factory. I've hear the Palmetto stuff works pretty good but never used it personally.. If you would rather not do the replating yourself then look for a plating shop in your area. Brakeboosters.com in California specializes in replating automotive parts in several types of finishes.

flint9 and Blu-By-U 79Z like this.