Recommendations for Chrome

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by GREGS396, Nov 9, 2017.

1. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Whats the group consensus on the chrome finish itself? The factory chrome I am pretty sure was just a production chrome that was not highly polished. More of a satin chrome finish. Do most folks restoring these cars go for that or the over-restored highly polished finish? Just curious.

2. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    I went for the nice highly polished chrome. The original production flash chroming would be correct for that original look but my car is not 100% original. If it was, I would consider the original chrome finish.
    Mike

Attached Files:

3. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I don’t trust shops (well, plating shops) that send the work out. I can do that. I want the work done on site and by the people that I am dealing with directly.

$350 does seem a tad high but it’s not surprising that it costs more than the bumpers...for the reasons I listed above. A lot of air cleaner lids have deep grooves that prove problematic for “casting” the plating material...it means more hand work. We did the OEM lid on our ‘69 SS and it was a pain for the shop to get it right.

4. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I know it’s not technically correct but I go for the better chrome on most plating. Just like I go for a glass like paint finish (even in stock colors). It’s a lot of money to spend and not go for show quality.

I have a ‘69 GTO with a few miles over 50K on the clock. It’s all original (except the paint) including the chrome air cleaner lid. I’ll try to snap a photo for you. Not triple plated show chrome quality but not Spectre parts chrome either. The lid has looked more or less like it does now (a few scratches and marks not withstanding) for as long as I can recall...which is to at least the late 70’s:cool:

5. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    Dave, I gave them a call and his quote was much better. I'm going to drop it off next week.
    Thanks Greg..

6. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Greg, they did all the chrome on Kevin's Camaro & Nova, also several pieces for me, very satisfied with the results.

GREGS396 likes this.
  7. PaulC

PaulC Member

Mar 22, 2001
    I had mine done about 30 years ago at Mara Plating in Newark, NJ and they still look like the day I got them back. Just did a search and they are still in business. I actually also have a LS-3 lid that needs chroming, what do you replace the seal with?

8. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    I used SoffSeal 2099. Should be the same seal for your lid.
    Mike