Recommendations for Chrome

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by GREGS396, Nov 9, 2017.

1. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    I'm looking to get the air cleaner lid for my 72 SS re-chromed. I asked a guy at a local resto shop who he uses, and I gave them a call. I was kinda shocked by the number that they gave me to do the job. I was wondering if anyone here can guide me to someone that they've used in the past. I want a decent job, but not looking for something that's going to blind me when I open the hood. I doubt that they were that deep from the factory. I'm located in NE PA, and I realize that I'm going to need to ship it out to get it done.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Have you checked on getting an aftermarket one compared to re-chroming yours.?

3. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Greg, I have used Frankford Plating in Phila, just don't be in a hurry. I would think for one piece it shouldn't take too long.

4. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    It's an LS-3 BB, and haven't seen one available for this car. It's different than the Z-28 dual snorkel type.

5. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    Thanks Dave, I will look them up.

6. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Greg, what condition is it in?
    Mine had some rust pits down in the corners from sitting for years. It takes extra work with multiple layers to fill the pits, which can almost double the cost of re-plating... Mine lid cost $200 to re-chrome 6 years ago.
    Repro lids are usually slightly different than originals anyway so even if there was one available I wouldn't buy it.

7. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    ^^ Exactly what Scott said. My original had some small dings and a very small crease. It did double the cost of plating.

Mike

8. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Our local plater runs a bumper line full time with 2-3 guys...knocks out bumpers in less than a week normally at competitive prices. Oddball/small/non-bumper parts are run once a week at most and have one employee assigned to the line. Cost is proportionately higher and the lead time is double to triple of than the bumpers. I think this is the general norm for the plating business. What was the price you were quoted locally and what work was entailed? It might not be so out of line.

9. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    $350, which seems insane for this part. That's more than I paid for my bumpers a piece. I had one done for another car a while back, and it ran me $125. That was thru another shop that sent it out, and did part of the work in house. The place is gone now, and I have no idea where he sent it.

10. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    <$350.00> That’s $50.00 less than I paid. But, I took my my lid to one of the best platers in California — Sherms. They do work for Steve Moal, Roy Brizio, Rick Dore, So-Cal, etc... It took 8 weeks. It actually took 6 weeks (as promised) but when it was finished, the plater wasn’t happy with it and re-did it. There are other platers that I could have used but I would rather complain about the cost and not the quality.

Mike