Recommendations for 2 stage temp switch for 2 speed fans ??

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Aceshigh, Sep 29, 2010.

1. onelapduster

onelapduster Veteran Member

May 5, 2010
    South Joursey
    Bumpity, what year BMW's do I need to be looking for? Also, big wires versus little wires, how many of each? May just buy them instead of searching the JY's. Thanks!

2. cmccarthy

cmccarthy New Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Huntsville, AL
    raising this thread from the dead because I have onelapduster's answer. I found the sensor and pigtail in the junkyard on a 1995 BMW 535. I would say pretty much any inline 6 BMW from of this vintage will likely have this sensor arrangement. Look for 88-96 5 series and 92-99 3 series. On the 5 series it was directly behind the inboard passenger side headlamp sticking off the side of the radiator tank.

3. Non Stock

Non Stock New Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Bowling Green KY
    Wow,last reply in 2012. Anyone looking for the part numbers to get the switches and pieces to build a pigtail to plug onto the BMW temp switch can find them on this forum thread" http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/markviii.html ". Then go to ECS Tunings website and search those part numbers. They are in Ohio and I have bought stuff for my Audi from them for a few years. Good service and products. I just ordered the parts from them today and everything was in stock. I ordered extra wires,two plug bodies and both switches and it was only 93 dollars and some change. The BMW wires are pretty high,but i got everything on one order. Haven't wired the Sable fan I found but it covers all but an inch on either end of an 81 camaro radiator,and maybe an inch and a half on the bottom.

4. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    I've been looking online for a connector for the BMW dual fan switch but not having any luck. Everything that I see for a 1995 BMW 535 coolant switch wire is only 2 pins and square shaped instead of round. Any advice or is this not the right year or vehicle? I've found the sensor on rock auto, but I don't see the wires listed. I contacted Rock Auto and their sales people are useless. I expected them to be a bit more technical oriented. They basically said "you give us a part number, we tell you if we have it and what it costs. We don't offer any assistance in helping you find what you want".

Speaking of Rock Auto, I just had a buddy almost get screwed out of $800 in parts from them. They basically threw parts in a box with no packing and everything was damaged. They were patch panels, cab corners, rocker panels, and a tailgate. Every single piece was damaged due to their horrible packing, or should I say the lack there of. They accept no responsibility for anything and try to blame UPS. He had to file a claim through PayPal who were equally as useless, and I've had that experience with them too.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  5. Notareal T/A

Notareal T/A New Member

Feb 25, 2018
    BMW also uses the same pig tail connectors on signal lamps:

- housing # 61131378410 (about 3 bucks)
    [​IMG]
    - pig tail wires # 61130007571 socket terminal circular 2.5 ELA with wire 1,0-2,5MM²
    (not the correct ones, but will work) Price also about 3 bucks each.

I ordered them from https://www.schmiedmann.com they ship worldwide.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    Nice! Unfortunately it's $21 in parts and over $35 to ship it!

Man, these BMW parts are difficult. Depending on where you look, the part numbers don't seem to be constant. In one case it says I need 2 of one kind of wire and 1 of another of a different size. Then I get a part number for the connector and on some sites it says it's a wire. Let me throw some part numbers out and maybe someone smarter than me can comment if it's right.

#61131378410 socket, no wires
    #61130007445 green wire, 90 degrees, .5 - 1.0 mm
    #61130007446 green wire, 90 degrees, 1 - 2.5 mm
    #61311378073 sensor 195/210 degrees (pretty sure if this one)
    #61318361787 sensor 176/195 degrees (pretty sure if this one)
    #61130007571 green wire, straight, 1 - 1.5 mm

UPDATE.... I bought a #6131836178) sensor and I've found a connector body but didn't purchase yet. Need to know if all 3 pins are the same size, and if so, which is it .5-1 or 1-2.5?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  7. Notareal T/A

Notareal T/A New Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Whaat, 35.- for shipping! They offer free shipping end of february to Finland:)

Your part numbers seems right to me, if you want to use 90 degree connector/wires.
    There are two different wires and connectors. Straight and 90 degrees, depends what you want to use. I chose straight one, it fits better in my case.

Maybe you want to order them from Amazon (26,73 free shipping) or ECS-Tuning?
    https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-BMW-...rd_wg=FUCnj&psc=1&refRID=J6B77J8FT5APM7ECKCHJ

Original fan switch wires from factory are very thin, probably because it´s grounding switch.

(sample pics from web) BMW here:
    [​IMG]
    And Volvo (two yellow/white wires in middle connector):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  8. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
  9. Lynd McCormick

Lynd McCormick Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Finleyville, PA
    Yes, that’s what I’m gathering minus the Volvo relay. I have dual fans not a single hi/Lo which keeps me from using the Volvo part.