Recall on 1974 Camaro's

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by zfool, Sep 6, 2015.

1. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    Well it's dated info but interesting old info nonetheless.

Recall 1974 Camaro

Report Receipt Date: FEB 15, 1974
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 74V027000
    Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
    Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s)
    • CHEVROLET CAMARO1973-1974
    • PONTIAC FIREBIRD1973-1974
    Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    SUMMARY:
    CONSEQUENCE:
    REMEDY:
    NOTES:
    OLDSMOBILE CAMPAIGN NO 74-C-5. BUICK CAMPAIGN NO 73-C-3. GMC TRUCK CAMPAIGN NO 74-C-06. CHEVROLET CAMPAIGN NO 74-C-11. PONTIAC CAMPAIGN NO 74-C-5.POSSIBILITY THAT THE SINGLE DIAPHRAGM BRAKE VACUUM POWER BOOSTER WAS ASSEMBLED WITH DIMENSIONAL DISCREPANCIES IN THE VACUUM POWER BOOSTER HOUSING WHICH MAY REDUCE THE TORQUE REQUIRED TO UNLOCK THE FRONT HALF OF THE HOUSING FROM THE REAR HALF. IF THIS CONDITION EXISTS, THE LOW UNLOCKING TORQUE COUPLED WITH OTHER VARIATIONS IN THE ASSEMBLY MAY CAUSE HOUSING TO ROTATE AND DISENGAGE FROM THE LOCKING TABS RESULTING IN SEPARATION OF THE TWO HALVES OF THE BOOSTER AND COMPLETE LOSS OF BRAKES. (CORRECT BY INSPECTING AND STAKING THE HOUSING AT TWO POINTS TO PRECLUDE ROTATION OF THE HOUSING.

RECALL Subject : SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:UPPER
    Report Receipt Date: DEC 27, 1973
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 73V250000
    Component(s): SUSPENSION
    • CHEVROLET CAMARO1974
    • PONTIAC FIREBIRD1974
    SUMMARY:
    CONSEQUENCE:
    REMEDY:
    NOTES:
    CHEVROLET CAMPAIGN NO 74-C-09. PONTIAC 74-C-2. BUICK 74-C-2. OLDSMOBILE 74-C-3. SPRINT 74-C-4. POSSIBILITY THAT THE FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM INNER BUSHING RETAINER NUTS MAY LOOSEN AND COME OFF DURING NORMAL OPERATING CONDITIONS. SHOULD THIS OCCUR, THE LOOSE CONTROL ARM MAY MOVE FORWARD AND CONTACT THE UPPER CONTROL ARM MOUNTING BRACKET ON THE FRAME WHICH RESTRICTS ANY FURTHER FORWARD MOVEMENT. IF THIS VEHICLE IS OPERATED IN THIS CONDITION IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE CONTROL ARM CROSS SHAFT TO BREAK. (CORRECT BY INSPECTING AND INSTALLING NEW BUSHING RETAINERS WHERE NECESSARY. )

RECALL Subject : ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRING
    Report Receipt Date: DEC 10, 1973
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 73V232000
    Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
    • CHEVROLET CAMARO1974
    • PONTIAC FIREBIRD1974
    SUMMARY:
    CONSEQUENCE:
    REMEDY:
    NOTES:
    GENERAL MOTORS CAMPAIGN NO CHEVROLET 74-C-06. PONTIAC 74-C-1. POSSIBILITY THAT THE DRIVER'S SEAT INBOARD SEAT ADJUSTER LOCK BAR MAY NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT CLEARANCE AT THE IGNITION INTERLOCK AND/OR POWER WINDOW WIRE HARNESS. IF THIS CONDITION EXISTS AND REPEATED ADJUSTMENTS TO THE SEAT ARE MADE, IT COULD RESULT IN WEARING THROUGH OF THE WIRING. THIS COULD RESULT IN INABILITY TO START CAR OR AFFECT THE SEAT BELT STARTER INTERLOCK AND POWER WINDOWS. (CORRECT BY INSPECTING AND PROVIDING NECESSARY CLEARANCE. )

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Better take your car in right away and get those corrected. :)

3. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Good info for someone that has an original low mileage one.
    check the items listed and your good to go.

4. 77 rs

77 rs Veteran Member

Sep 11, 2011
    cape may county, n.j.
    I have a binder loaded with early/mid '70's recalls including Camaros.

5. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    I thought it was interesting, I would like to see the service bulletins if anyone has them. I have all the recall infor for all of the 2nd gen cars. I'll try to find time to dump it in the appropriate forums.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  6. VetteMan06

VetteMan06 New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Miami
    Recall: Upper Control Arm

This recall is why you will see that all original suspension 1974 Z28s have a weld on the nut that holds the upper control arm bushing shaft. Pretty shoddy factory solution that makes it near impossible to replace your upper bushings without replacing the whole upper shaft. The 1974 Z28 is the only car that I have seen this on. I have had four 1974 Z28s and they all had this.

7. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    thats corporate work for ya. the consumer doesnt find out til some 40 years later. haha